Old 11-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Christopher Green

"Jimbo" wrote in message ...
I have a whole bunch of young plumerias, from newly rooted to 4 ft. high,
all in pots. Leaves are starting to turn yellow from the cooler fall temps.
Am in Zone 9. Most winters here, there are only a few days of freezing
weather, and not much below 32 deg. at that. There is no indoor area
available that could be used to protect them, they are just stuck outdoors
in the back yard for the winter. Will a freeze kill them? I heard they are
pretty delicate tropicals. I could only cover them with plastic or a tarp,
if this would help.

See the Plumeria Society of America's advice at
http://www.botanictreasures.com/psa/pcb7-1.html

You have to secure them before first frost; ideally, you don't want
them to be exposed to anything below 35-40F.

Any plumeria enthusiasts know what to do with plants that can't be
taken indoors? Do like a 'gator does with her eggs and hide them under
a compost heap, where the heat of decomposition will keep them warm?

--
Chris Green