Old 11-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Jimbo

Default Plumerias: will they survive a freeze?

I have a whole bunch of young plumerias, from newly rooted to 4 ft. high,
all in pots. Leaves are starting to turn yellow from the cooler fall temps.
Am in Zone 9. Most winters here, there are only a few days of freezing
weather, and not much below 32 deg. at that. There is no indoor area
available that could be used to protect them, they are just stuck outdoors
in the back yard for the winter. Will a freeze kill them? I heard they are
pretty delicate tropicals. I could only cover them with plastic or a tarp,
if this would help.

Old 11-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Cereus-validus...

No. Plumeria are strictly tropical.

If you left them out in freezing cold, they are already mush!!!

Old 11-11-2004, 05:15 PM
escape

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:45:35 -0600, "Jimbo" opined:

I have a whole bunch of young plumerias, from newly rooted to 4 ft. high,
all in pots. Leaves are starting to turn yellow from the cooler fall temps.
Am in Zone 9. Most winters here, there are only a few days of freezing
weather, and not much below 32 deg. at that. There is no indoor area
available that could be used to protect them, they are just stuck outdoors
in the back yard for the winter. Will a freeze kill them? I heard they are
pretty delicate tropicals. I could only cover them with plastic or a tarp,
if this would help.

You can take them out of their pots, wash the roots off with water, fully dry
them and store them with no foliage in a closet in the house. Next spring pot
them back up. They will not survive much below 35.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Christopher Green

"Jimbo" wrote in message ...
I have a whole bunch of young plumerias, from newly rooted to 4 ft. high,
all in pots. Leaves are starting to turn yellow from the cooler fall temps.
Am in Zone 9. Most winters here, there are only a few days of freezing
weather, and not much below 32 deg. at that. There is no indoor area
available that could be used to protect them, they are just stuck outdoors
in the back yard for the winter. Will a freeze kill them? I heard they are
pretty delicate tropicals. I could only cover them with plastic or a tarp,
if this would help.

See the Plumeria Society of America's advice at
http://www.botanictreasures.com/psa/pcb7-1.html

You have to secure them before first frost; ideally, you don't want
them to be exposed to anything below 35-40F.

Any plumeria enthusiasts know what to do with plants that can't be
taken indoors? Do like a 'gator does with her eggs and hide them under
a compost heap, where the heat of decomposition will keep them warm?

--
Chris Green