Old 11-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Doug Kanter

"Jeana" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
I was talking to a friend yesterday about the deer which are eating the
flowers off my mums (not that it matters much - the plants will be

corpses
anyway soon). He said he had the same problem with some small apple

trees on
his property - the deer were stripping the new leaves. When he went to

the
store to find some sort of repellent, the lady, a friend of his, told

him to
save his money and try a homemade thing: Irish Spring bar soap, shredded
with a cheese grater and hung around the trees in knee-hi stockings.

He said he ran out of soap after making these things for all but two

trees,
and in the two days between that point and going grocery shopping again,

he
watched with binoculars as the deer passed by the scented trees and

headed
straight for the "normal" trees. When he caught up and treated those

last
two, the problem ended, and it worked 3 years in a row.

I'm gonna try it, although the deer around my property are so fearless,

may be able to walk right up to them and dope-slap them. We'll see.

Your going to hang soap on your mums? You'll have to use itty bitty baby
socks, won't you?

Jean

I was thinking more in terms of putting them on short sticks all around the
garden. :-)