Old 11-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Yet another deer repellent

I was talking to a friend yesterday about the deer which are eating the
flowers off my mums (not that it matters much - the plants will be corpses
anyway soon). He said he had the same problem with some small apple trees on
his property - the deer were stripping the new leaves. When he went to the
store to find some sort of repellent, the lady, a friend of his, told him to
save his money and try a homemade thing: Irish Spring bar soap, shredded
with a cheese grater and hung around the trees in knee-hi stockings.

He said he ran out of soap after making these things for all but two trees,
and in the two days between that point and going grocery shopping again, he
watched with binoculars as the deer passed by the scented trees and headed
straight for the "normal" trees. When he caught up and treated those last
two, the problem ended, and it worked 3 years in a row.

I'm gonna try it, although the deer around my property are so fearless, I
may be able to walk right up to them and dope-slap them. We'll see.

Old 11-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Jeana

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

Your going to hang soap on your mums? You'll have to use itty bitty baby
socks, won't you?

Jean

Old 11-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Doug Kanter

"Jeana" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

I was thinking more in terms of putting them on short sticks all around the
garden. :-)

Old 12-11-2004, 03:38 AM
Dan

Hows this for fearless...I personally witnessed a doe try & trample my
neighbors cat when it got too close to her and her two large fawns. I
have no regrets about allowing hunters onto the property.

Dan

Old 12-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Doug Kanter

That's really over the line, messing with someone's cat. Get out the
roasting pan for THAT deer. :-)

news

Old 12-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Mrs. Fricker

Dan wrote:

Hows this for fearless...I personally witnessed a doe try & trample my
neighbors cat when it got too close to her and her two large fawns. I
have no regrets about allowing hunters onto the property.

Some hunters use cats for target practice.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:54 PM

I had a doe go after my Papillon big time trying to make toe jam outta him. and she
was intent cause when I stepped out between them she stopped by had that look like
she was going to renew the chase until I ran right at her swinging a dish towel in
the air. they were so bold we got my mother an air pistol to get em to move. Ingrid

Dan wrote:

Hows this for fearless...I personally witnessed a doe try & trample my
neighbors cat when it got too close to her and her two large fawns. I
have no regrets about allowing hunters onto the property.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Frank Logullo

"Mrs. Fricker" wrote in message
Dan wrote:

Hows this for fearless...I personally witnessed a doe try & trample my
neighbors cat when it got too close to her and her two large fawns. I
have no regrets about allowing hunters onto the property.

Some hunters use cats for target practice.

As a hunter, I resent that, even though other hunters have told me pussy is
better than deer
Frank

Old 12-11-2004, 11:45 PM
Phisherman

Last year a deer charged me, I stepped up onto a rock, then he stopped
short of 4 feet of me. I'll never forget those huge ears!

Old 14-11-2004, 02:21 AM
culprit

wrote in message
I had a doe go after my Papillon big time trying to make toe jam outta him.
and she
was intent cause when I stepped out between them she stopped by had that
look like
she was going to renew the chase until I ran right at her swinging a dish
towel in
the air. they were so bold we got my mother an air pistol to get em to
move. Ingrid

my dogs tend to mark the perimeter of our property. the deer sidestep our
land and go straight to the neighbor's garden. we've only seen one on our
property, and after i let the dogs give chase, they've never come back.

they seem to have scared the gophers away to. now if they'd only do
something about those damn moles (besides digging up all their tunnels!)

-kelly

[IMG] code is On

Deer Repellent? Buck Turgidson Gardening 13 16-10-2006 04:31 AM
Homemade Deer Repellent Boyk7808 Edible Gardening 11 15-06-2004 05:06 AM
Deer repellent cpemberton Roses 6 18-04-2004 06:08 AM
insecticide as deer repellent? King Jake Lawns 0 06-04-2004 09:29 PM
Another Deer Repellent Bob Batson Gardening 0 24-07-2003 09:02 PM