Old 12-11-2004, 04:47 PM
FACE

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:51:53 -0500, "Stephen M. Henning"
in rec.gardens wrote:

FACE wrote:

Not the encore variety.
In the neighborhood a lot of azaleas are partially blooming.
Enough in my yard that i have an arrangement on the table.
Of course, their big blooming season is early spring.
Anyone else around Zone 7a seen this?

We are getting this also in Pennsylvania with our rhododendrons. Some
of those trying to bloom a Lavender Queen, Kelley, and Wilsonii.
This happens to some extent most years. Since rhododendrons and azaleas
form their flower buds in the spring after blooming, they are set and
ready to open in the late fall but hopefully will wait until the next
spring. Some are easily tricked by weather conditions into blooming
early.

Agreed that it happens to *some* extent every year. An odd bloom here and
there. Usually this happens when it has been freezing for a week or so and
warms up -- sort of a short (false) winter idea. Not the case this year.
Hasn't been freezing or in the 30s yet.

Like I mention there is enough to have an arrangement on the table.
(holding up real well too! :-))

FACE