Old 12-11-2004, 02:37 PM
FACE

Default azaleas blooming in November?

Not the encore variety.

In the neighborhood a lot of azaleas are partially blooming.

Enough in my yard that i have an arrangement on the table.

Of course, their big blooming season is early spring.

Anyone else around Zone 7a seen this?

FACE
Old 12-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Stephen M. Henning

FACE wrote:

Not the encore variety.
In the neighborhood a lot of azaleas are partially blooming.
Enough in my yard that i have an arrangement on the table.
Of course, their big blooming season is early spring.
Anyone else around Zone 7a seen this?

We are getting this also in Pennsylvania with our rhododendrons. Some
of those trying to bloom a Lavender Queen, Kelley, and Wilsonii.
This happens to some extent most years. Since rhododendrons and azaleas
form their flower buds in the spring after blooming, they are set and
ready to open in the late fall but hopefully will wait until the next
spring. Some are easily tricked by weather conditions into blooming
early.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 12-11-2004, 04:47 PM
FACE

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:51:53 -0500, "Stephen M. Henning"
in rec.gardens wrote:

FACE wrote:

Not the encore variety.
In the neighborhood a lot of azaleas are partially blooming.
Enough in my yard that i have an arrangement on the table.
Of course, their big blooming season is early spring.
Anyone else around Zone 7a seen this?

We are getting this also in Pennsylvania with our rhododendrons. Some
of those trying to bloom a Lavender Queen, Kelley, and Wilsonii.
This happens to some extent most years. Since rhododendrons and azaleas
form their flower buds in the spring after blooming, they are set and
ready to open in the late fall but hopefully will wait until the next
spring. Some are easily tricked by weather conditions into blooming
early.

Agreed that it happens to *some* extent every year. An odd bloom here and
there. Usually this happens when it has been freezing for a week or so and
warms up -- sort of a short (false) winter idea. Not the case this year.
Hasn't been freezing or in the 30s yet.

Like I mention there is enough to have an arrangement on the table.
(holding up real well too! :-))

FACE
Old 12-11-2004, 05:03 PM
paghat

In article , FACE
wrote:

Not the encore variety.

In the neighborhood a lot of azaleas are partially blooming.

Enough in my yard that i have an arrangement on the table.

Of course, their big blooming season is early spring.

Anyone else around Zone 7a seen this?

FACE

I have a few flowers on the PJM rhody this week, & it had a very few
flowers open in October too. There other rhodies producing a single
flower, such as on "Poukhahense Compacta," but nothing approaching full
bloom except on our "Lee's Best Purple" which has a second bloom period
every year (though it's not supposed to) just so long as there's not a
premature freeze to wreck the flowers half-opened. This potential to
bloom at least tepidly in the wrong season can be enhanced by fertilizing
in autumn, which shouldn't be done since rhodies are at greater risk of
winter damage if not properly dormant.

There are also some daffodils putting up grass prematurely, which I hope
doesn't interfer with their blooming properly next spring. Last autumn was
unusually cold, & this autumn is unusually warm; still, it doesn't seem
like our weather patterns this year have been spectacularly odd, & plants
shouldn't be confused what season it is, but some are.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 12-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Ann

FACE expounded:

Anyone else around Zone 7a seen this?

I had forsythias blooming last month here in 6a G
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 12-11-2004, 11:21 PM
Sterling

I'm in 7a and have a big potted azalea putting out blooms - first time
for this here. I've had this plant several years. Never bloomed in the
fall before. Not an Encore. The big in-the-ground azaleas are not blooming.

Old 13-11-2004, 01:52 AM
Marg

yes, here in zone 5 NY, my azaleas started to bloom again in early
October and I think they're just about to the end now.
Wonder why this is happening this year?
Old 13-11-2004, 02:02 AM
madgardener

well, in my case, my Encore IS blooming, but so is part of my Pawlonia
tree..........and that is NOT normal. And I noticed along the country roads
going to and from that the April wild white daisies are blooming. And to
add further ponder to the season's unseasonable actions............this is
the THIRD day in a row that I have seen COYOTE out in broad daylight, almost
smacked into deer in broad daylight, and noticed that this is the fattest
I've EVER seen the woodchucks, possom's and skunks since living
here.............I have a feeling Mom's Nature is just winding up her curve
ball.............................
madgardener whose Eucharis grandiflora is blooming for the fifth time this
year! up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking English Mountain in
Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.

Old 13-11-2004, 09:47 AM
KCnRichmond

yes...and so is my winter Jessamine, 1 dogwood, 4 spring azaleas, forsythia,
and my roses have gone nuts all over again..........Ma Natures way of
letting us see now because the real bloom time is going to be a
loooonnnnnggg way away.....

Old 13-11-2004, 05:14 PM
David Ross

FACE wrote:

Not the encore variety.

In the neighborhood a lot of azaleas are partially blooming.

Enough in my yard that i have an arrangement on the table.

Of course, their big blooming season is early spring.

Anyone else around Zone 7a seen this?

I have a potted 'Inga' on my front walk. It's been in bloom for a
month now!

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean