Old 13-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Alan Gould

In article ,
writes

I have about 8 sprout plants growing in the garden, but the sprouts are
quite small.

Should they be ready to eat now or am I being a bit impatient?

Many Brussels Sprout varieties are intended to be ready to crop for
Xmas, but there are earlier and later versions. Developing sprout
buttons can be taken and eaten at any size, but we find that the smaller
ones are usually much nicer to eat. They certainly should be cropped
before the buttons begin to open, which usually begins at the lower
ones. I personally prefer to eat sprouts shredded raw with a little
dressing on them, they are tasty and crunchy like that. Those which are
boiled only need to be brought up to boiling point briefly, simmering
them makes them go mushy and watery, the main reason why this excellent
vegetable is less popular than it might be.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.