Old 15-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Stephen M. Henning

treers wrote:

Any suggestions on how to turn this tangled mat of roots and leaves and
stems and who knows what else into something plantable without pulling it
up? Will mulching over it help speed the killing and decomposition
process, or will it just give the ivy a better environment for spreading?

Not much grows under Norway Maples. If it is some other kind of Maple,
you may have better luck.

I assume by ivy, you mean English Ivy, Hedera helix. It is considered
"a noxious invasive plant." Washington State University
[http://www.nwcb.wa.gov/weed_info/Ivy.htm] recommends:

1) Burning plants and re-sprouts at regular intervals with a blow torch
will eventually deplete the plant's energy.

2) Due to its waxy cuticle, ivy is not easily controlled with
herbicides. However, Derr reported complete control of English ivy with
two applications of 2,4-D at 1 lb/acre, applied as foliar sprays in June
and August.

After doing either 1) or 2) above, I would recommend covering it with
black plastic and covering that with a good mulch. Then after a couple
years, it should be OK to plant. You might have to repeat 1) or 2) on
the edges periodically.

Note: Norway Maple is also considered "a noxious invasive plant."

Also, check out:
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/hehe1.htm

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to