Old 16-11-2004, 07:14 AM
Christopher Green

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:19:59 -0800,
(paghat) wrote:

The enormous garden I'm reworking has a sapling Norway maple planted on
the property line & my first inclination upon spotting it was to get rid
of it. There are hundreds of spots all around this property that need
attention and I have to be conservative about removing stuff that has
already been done, but I just think the future dominance of this tree
could in a decade be a nuisance to maintaining substory plants or fruiting
trees. The owners of the place pretty much trust whatever I decide, but
there's so much that I'm uncertain about, & maybe I'm over-reacting to not
like this sapling & for predicting it'll be a crummy tree someday. Anyone
with a big Norway maple in their yard that they now wish someone dug up &
discarded back when it was still a sapling? Anyone who has abject praise
for theirs?

-paghat the ratgirl

Norway Maple isn't exactly choice, though it's not a g**d**n weed like
Box Elder or Silver Maple. Its faults are hyperaggressive roots and
harboring aphids. It's one of the trees that I'd make sure wasn't
planted near a drain line.

You'll need to envision whether a 20-meter tree (in not too many
years) that competes viciously with anything you try to plant under or
near it ultimately belongs where it is. In other words, if you want to
use that place just for a specimen tree, it's not actually a bad
choice, but if you want the place where it is for other purposes, the
Norway Maple may as well go, and it will be no great loss.

--
Chris Green