Old 16-11-2004, 12:19 AM
paghat

Default Should I Ditch this Norway Maple?

The enormous garden I'm reworking has a sapling Norway maple planted on
the property line & my first inclination upon spotting it was to get rid
of it. There are hundreds of spots all around this property that need
attention and I have to be conservative about removing stuff that has
already been done, but I just think the future dominance of this tree
could in a decade be a nuisance to maintaining substory plants or fruiting
trees. The owners of the place pretty much trust whatever I decide, but
there's so much that I'm uncertain about, & maybe I'm over-reacting to not
like this sapling & for predicting it'll be a crummy tree someday. Anyone
with a big Norway maple in their yard that they now wish someone dug up &
discarded back when it was still a sapling? Anyone who has abject praise
for theirs?

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 16-11-2004, 07:14 AM
Christopher Green

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:19:59 -0800,
(paghat) wrote:

The enormous garden I'm reworking has a sapling Norway maple planted on
the property line & my first inclination upon spotting it was to get rid
of it. There are hundreds of spots all around this property that need
attention and I have to be conservative about removing stuff that has
already been done, but I just think the future dominance of this tree
could in a decade be a nuisance to maintaining substory plants or fruiting
trees. The owners of the place pretty much trust whatever I decide, but
there's so much that I'm uncertain about, & maybe I'm over-reacting to not
like this sapling & for predicting it'll be a crummy tree someday. Anyone
with a big Norway maple in their yard that they now wish someone dug up &
discarded back when it was still a sapling? Anyone who has abject praise
for theirs?

-paghat the ratgirl

Norway Maple isn't exactly choice, though it's not a g**d**n weed like
Box Elder or Silver Maple. Its faults are hyperaggressive roots and
harboring aphids. It's one of the trees that I'd make sure wasn't
planted near a drain line.

You'll need to envision whether a 20-meter tree (in not too many
years) that competes viciously with anything you try to plant under or
near it ultimately belongs where it is. In other words, if you want to
use that place just for a specimen tree, it's not actually a bad
choice, but if you want the place where it is for other purposes, the
Norway Maple may as well go, and it will be no great loss.

--
Chris Green

Old 16-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Mike LaMana

By all means, in every case, lose the damned Norway maple! This tree adds
nothing to the urban or suburban forest, and is nothing but a noxious
invader. I have never seen a Norway that could not have been replaced with a
better (usually native) species.

ML

--
Mike LaMana, MS, CTE
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

news

Old 16-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Dan

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:59:53 -0500, "Mike LaMana"
fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet wrote:

By all means, in every case, lose the damned Norway maple! This tree adds
nothing to the urban or suburban forest, and is nothing but a noxious
invader. I have never seen a Norway that could not have been replaced with a
better (usually native) species.

Our local community college (up here in Sussex County) has tons of
the damn things on the property. Some of the ones closer to the
academic halls STILL HAVE THEIR (partially) GREEN LEAVES (most native
trees lost their leaves around here over four WEEKS ago). I'm going
to recommend the school try & remove them, I don't think anyone's
brought it to their attention just yet.

The only major problem with removal would be erosion. The school is
built on a steep hill, and much of that is being held back by maple
roots.

Dan
nw NJ

Old 17-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Mike LaMana

The fact that these weeds keep their leaves so long is their only saving
grace: About mid-October I used to send my crews out to "...cut down all the
trees that still had their leaves on". Makes restoration ecology a tad
easier.

In all seriousness, the dense, shallow root mat does serve a decent soil
conservation function, but especially in Sussex Co. this could be as well
achieved with Sugar maple.
Go figure...

ML

--