Old 16-11-2004, 10:19 PM
George Pontis

In article , says...
George Pontis wrote:
Maybe they have only a small amount of the agent that captures heavy metals, which
is quickly overloaded by addition of iron. Do you supplement with iron and monitor
the levels ?

I got this response from Seachem:

Prime will bind heavy metals from solution when you are treating new
water. In a plant tank the impact would actually be beneficial as it
would reduce any iron from a ferric form to a ferrous form which the
plants are able to use more readily. Prime is fine to use in a plant
tank and as far as the iron goes it would be helpful to the plants.

That is a pretty definitive statement, I would not hesitate to use Prime based on
that. Thanks for asking and posting the response.

Your use of flourite further improves the situation. Everyone says that flourite
is an excellent substrate, but I have not yet adjusted to the concept of using it
on that scale. I've potted some plants with it and am watching them side by side
with similar plants in the simple gravel.