Old 16-11-2004, 10:10 PM
simy1

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
As Brigitte said, no prep is needed for planting. For storage though, you
should rinse them off and dry thoroughly for a week or two. Another issue:
Somewhere in the past 20 years, I recall reading that squash & melons are
the whores of the vegetable world. They inter-pollinate freely, and some of
the results can cause stomach upset. Not sure how accurate this is, but you
might not want to keep saving seeds from LOTS of subsequent generations,
especially if the fruits seem to be mutating in interesting ways.

The seeds will almost certainly not come true, though they will be
cantaloupe. After all, the cantaloupe itself came from a field full of
cantaloupes, so no matter how promiscuous, it was with other
cantaloupes. But the progeny will be not as good tasting as the
original, they tend to be almost exclusively hybrids. In my compost
pile, cantaloupe is the single most troublesome weed, no need to do
anything to the seeds.

"Peter" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I live in Thailnad where it is not easy to just order things like
fruit seeds. Could someone point me to a site or explain just what I
need to prepare cantaloupe seeds from a fruit for planting?

Thanks,

Peter