Old 16-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Peter

Default Cantaloupe - plant from fruit seeds

Hi,

I live in Thailnad where it is not easy to just order things like
fruit seeds. Could someone point me to a site or explain just what I
need to prepare cantaloupe seeds from a fruit for planting?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 16-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Brigitte

No preparation needed. This last summer I purchased a cantaloupe, brought
it home, ate it, through the seeds out onto my compost heap...2 weeks later
I had a at least 50 cantaloupe seedlings.

Brigitte

om...

Old 16-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Doug Kanter

As Brigitte said, no prep is needed for planting. For storage though, you
should rinse them off and dry thoroughly for a week or two. Another issue:
Somewhere in the past 20 years, I recall reading that squash & melons are
the whores of the vegetable world. They inter-pollinate freely, and some of
the results can cause stomach upset. Not sure how accurate this is, but you
might not want to keep saving seeds from LOTS of subsequent generations,
especially if the fruits seem to be mutating in interesting ways.

Old 16-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Cereus-validus...

Now come on Brigitte,

Don't forget to tell him about the secret fertility dance you did to ensure
germination and a good harvest.

Or do you want to keep the ritual a secret from casual lurkers in the group?

Did you substitute a bucket of KFC for sacrificing a live chicken? Or do you
prefer Popeye's?

Old 16-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Doug Kanter

For a moment, I thought you were about to describe a REALLY interesting
fertility dance once described to me by a woman I've known since college. It
involved a vegetable garden, but the rest....you'll have to coax it out of
me.

. com...

Old 16-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Cereus-validus...

Hmmm. Maybe you should describe the fertility dance you heard first?

If it is some sorority thing involving fresh produce and young co-eds
dancing around wearing nothing but their panties, it could be
interesting!!!! The garden probably had it bumper crops, if you know what I
mean!!! ;-)

Old 16-11-2004, 08:23 PM
paghat

In article ,
"Cereus-validus..." wrote:

Hmmm. Maybe you should describe the fertility dance you heard first?
If it is some sorority thing involving fresh produce and young co-eds
dancing around wearing nothing but their panties, it could be
interesting!!!!

If the ladder won't reach the window of the sorority, then you can't elope.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 16-11-2004, 08:32 PM
Doug Kanter

OK. I'm coaxed. I initially thought it was weird, but after thinking about
the recent election, NOTHING seems weird any more. This involved drizzling
menstrual blood on the garden. This friend was involved with some kind of
interesting Wiccan / New Age crew in Colorado, and this ceremony was
supposed to produce 40' tall corn, etc. It didn't, but it was still
interesting to find out what my old friend had been doing since we last
spoke.

Old 16-11-2004, 09:03 PM
Cereus-validus...

Now I'm not surprised that Colorado voted for Bush in the last election.

That University of Colorado must be a wilder place than I ever imagined.

If the corn grew to 40', I'm afraid to ponder how long the cucumbers were!
:-o

Old 16-11-2004, 10:10 PM
simy1

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
As Brigitte said, no prep is needed for planting. For storage though, you
should rinse them off and dry thoroughly for a week or two. Another issue:
Somewhere in the past 20 years, I recall reading that squash & melons are
the whores of the vegetable world. They inter-pollinate freely, and some of
the results can cause stomach upset. Not sure how accurate this is, but you
might not want to keep saving seeds from LOTS of subsequent generations,
especially if the fruits seem to be mutating in interesting ways.

The seeds will almost certainly not come true, though they will be
cantaloupe. After all, the cantaloupe itself came from a field full of
cantaloupes, so no matter how promiscuous, it was with other
cantaloupes. But the progeny will be not as good tasting as the
original, they tend to be almost exclusively hybrids. In my compost
pile, cantaloupe is the single most troublesome weed, no need to do
anything to the seeds.

Old 17-11-2004, 01:27 AM
Salty Thumb

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

For a moment, I thought you were about to describe a REALLY
interesting fertility dance once described to me by a woman I've known
since college. It involved a vegetable garden, but the rest....you'll
have to coax it out of me.

I don't know what the big deal is. I mean who hasn't overheard a couple of
sorority girls talk about how to make their melons bigger.
Old 17-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Atar

Your other repliers already warned you about the hybridity of commercial
cantaloup seed. They aren't true hybrids, they are "F1 hybrids" (usually),
which is almost the opposite in meaning of a true hybrid. They are not
crosses of 2 different species, but on the contrary highly in-bred.

The breeders in-breed several different families (so to speak) for several
generations, then out-breed the offspring. This does two things: any "bad"
genetic traits tend to show up (they are less likely to remain hidden in
recessive alleles) because they are so highly inbred. This is like the
propensity of some of the royal families in Europe to have hemophilia. The
bad traits are weeded out, and after a few generations you get rid of most
of them. Then the different inbred strains are crossed with each other,
which tends to cover up any remaining weaknesses to produce what is called
"hybrid vigor".

The generations of inbreeding also tend to produce extremely uniform plants,
which the farmers like, because they are fairly predictable in terms of
size, color, maturity, quality, etc.

The next generation, that you will be planting, are called "F2". They will
be more variable, although are often quite good and the seed is much
cheaper than F1. Save the seeds from your favorite fruits of your favorite
plants, and just keep doing this from generation to generation. They will
eventually stabilize.

As for real hybrids, yes you do have to keep different kinds of melons
separate or you can end up with hybrid melons with odd, "muddy" flavors.

Bon appetit.

Atar

--
Visit my blog at http://wildestdreamsofkew.blogspot.com.
Old 17-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Cereus-validus...

Hybrids do not need to be crosses between two species. They can be anything
from crosses between two genera to two different inbred lines of the same
species.

An F1 hybrid simply means it is the first filial generation of a hybrid
cross. Hybrid vigor is the result of complimentary heterozygosity from
crossing two different cultivar lines. However, the crossing of two
different cultivar lines does not always result in hybrid vigor.

A plant family is a completely different entity from an inbred cultivar line
of a species.

The reason that most melons can interbreed so freely is they represent
different cultivar groups (inbred lines) of the same species.