Old 16-11-2004, 11:03 PM
Aaron Hicks

Rob:

Please see:

http://international.fws.gov/pdf/cpc.pdf

Note under "Personal or Household Effects," there are exemptions
for "accompanying the owner and intended for personal use." Also that
"Appendix-I specimens may be exported by a U.S. resident without CITES
documents, provided the foreign country does not require a CITES permit."

Moreover, I seem to recall some wording that knocks orchid species
down a step if they're hybrids: hybrids of Appendix I would then be
treated as Appendix II. However, the CITES website is so poor and the FWS
isn't much better, so I can't provide a citation for this claim as I can
never find what I need at either location.

Bob has this in his paph FAQ, however, at:

www.ladyslipper.com/paphfaq.pdf

On page 24:

"Paphiopedilum and Phragmipedium have been placed on Appendix I
under The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species
(CITES)... Artificially propagated Paphs and Phrags are considered
Appendix II plants, which can be traded across international boundaries
with appropriate documentation."

While this doesn't say "hybrids," it is implicit with orchids that
artificial hybrids constitute artificial propagation as a function of
their origins and methods of propagation.

Please note- I'm no lawyer, and only a fool would think that on
the basis of my ramblings here.

The email address in the header is bogus. Send no mail there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ