Old 19-11-2004, 04:17 AM
Noochka One

Hi,

Almost all airports in the USA into which international flights arrive
are staffed by APHIS (USDA) officials who, believe it or not, are pretty
damn good at identifying plant species. While I have no idea if this is
true or not in Argentina, it certainly stands to reason that they would
have their own version of PPQ (Plant Protection & Quarantine) in order
to keep unwanted plant species from being introduced into commerce and,
ultimately, into the wild.

Having exported other types of freight to Argentina, I also know that
Customs there can be a complete nightmare. My advice is to make your
buyer aware of the possible risks involved (including the possible risk
of losing the plant), and to have him contact his Embassy for advice
regarding the shipment of his plant. While the Embassy may not have all
the answers, they may be quite helpful. It also doesn't hurt to pack an
extra bottle of wine as a "present" for the Customs official who will be
searching his luggage upon arrival :-)

Rgds,
Scott

In article , says...
Well... I probably should know the answer to this. But I don't. I
have a customer who would like to take a hybrid paph (Maudiae type) back
to his father in Argentina (from the US). I know that paph species are
CITES appendix 1, and I wouldn't even dream of letting him try it.
Hybrids probably shouldn't be appendix I (but maybe are). I don't want
to sell him the plant if he is going to get in trouble for it.

So, if he takes a plant in his carry on luggage, what would the legal
requirements be? Does a single hybrid paph require import/export
paperwork, or can it go as a non-regulated houseplant? If so, it should
be packed bare-root, I presume?

Thoughts?

Rob