Old 20-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Bob Hobden

"Prakash" wrote
I moved into a house with a decent sized garden a couple of months ago and
have been trying to get the garden in shape - it was (and still is) rather
overgrown. I've never tried gardening before and am beginning to like it.
have a bunch of Ash trees at the back of the garden and when clearing them
of ivy, I noticed one of the trees had a fungus like (or maybe its a
mushroom ?) growth on the bark. I have uploaded a picture of this at
www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Fungus1.jpg . Could some one please tell me
what this is, and whether it is likely to spread to all the other trees.
And
what do I do about it ?

Looks a bit like Witches Butter (Exidia glandulosa) and from the photo it
also looks as if the trunk it's growing on is dead and therefore needs to be
cut out.
If you want to help wildlife, when you have removed the dead bit, leave it
on the ground to rot away.

After reading some posts in this news group, I also cut the ivy from the
base of the trees, so there is no where for the ivy to touch the ground. I
assume the ivy will die eventually - how do I get it off the tree ? the
ivy
has grown up most of the trees to a significant height. Will it just fall
off once dead ?

If the roots aren't in the ground it will die and eventually it will simply
fall off the trees, may take a year or two for all the clinging bit to come
loose.

--
Regards
Bob