Old 21-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Jim Lewis

On 21 Nov 2004 at 9:58, Theo wrote:

Hi
I normally give some microelements mixed with the repotting soil
and sometimes I sprinkle some this period of the year on the surface
but when is the best period and how often shouldl micro elements be
given to the bonsai ?
once per ear twice ? more often ..
I agree it all depends about the retention of the soil and the washing
of the same for strong rains
any advice?
Thanks

The best way is to fertilize with a fertilizer that already
contains microelements, since trees need and use them all year
long (even hibernating trees need their sustenance).

But they don't need MUCH of any one of them -- fractions of a
percent per unit of fertilizer/water -- and adding microelements
yourself to trees in small pots can easily overdose them.

Once a year, assuming your bonsai soil is a free-draining mix
would be far to little; the stuff would vanish in a day or two,
and I do not know how efficiently trees' roots take up the minor
elements.

So, I'd recommend a fertilizer that contains it all so that your
trees have what they need throughout the year.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++