Old 21-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Prakash

Daldinia concentrica. Google on 'cramp ball'

Spot on. It is indeed the 'cramp ball'. The tree is going. What do I do with
the stump ? Will it just continue to decay and host many other fungii ? Or
do I need to try and get it out ? Is there anything I can do (spray it with
something etc?) to stop the stump providing a place for more fungii ?

Does 'Honey fungus' exist in the UK, and how serious a threat is it in

your
view ?

It is one of the commonest fungi in the UK, and present in most of our
woodlands. The fact that we still *have* woodlands inclines me to the
school of thought that says it is a danger to ailing trees and not to
healthy ones. I certainly don't worry about it, have plenty of rotten
wood in my garden, and all my trees and bushes are perfectly healthy.

Others have different views.