Old 22-11-2004, 10:28 AM
o'Really

Default Best time of year to be laying turf?

Apart from a small border, our back garden is a bleak and barren
expanse of concrete and paving slabs (no doubt the previous owners
thought it a good idea, but Heaven knows why).

Initially we simply want to remove all the concrete and slabs, and
replace with a lawned area. Because of the area involved, this will
certainly require the use of a mechanical excavator (and we will be
looking to get the work done professionally, anyway).

So, to finally get to my question (and to demonstrate just how little
I know about these kind of things!), can I assume that this is totally
the wrong time of year to be doing this kind of work?

Would a professional landscaper run a mile at the thought of doing
this now? If so, when is the best time to be undertaking this sort of
landscaping work? And, apart from sticking a pin in the yellow pages,
are there any recommendations for choosing somebody to do the job (in
the absence of any personal recommendations)?