Old 22-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Derek Broughton

Ka30P wrote:

This was my
first experience raising baby frogs and I didn't realize how quickly they
can go from almost frog to frog.

My first summer with my pond, I had thousands of Toad Tads, and I'd check
them out every day to see if they'd started to grow legs yet. I _swear_
one day there was a small percentage that had just back legs. Everybody
still had tails and no front legs. Then, next day there were hardly any
tads in the pond. I wondered what had eaten them all, until I found there
were hundreds of fully formed, but tiny, toads in the vegetation outside
the pond.

Hindsight is not only 20-20, but I suspect it's sped up :-) There was
probably a weekend in there where I was out of town, or something, but it
happened incredibly fast, in any case.
--
derek