Old 19-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Tads, Water and Air

I put a kiddie pool in my office this year with the intent of overwintering
a few plants. This is a miserable mess. LOL. I plan to get rid of it, and
buy a nice decorative urn or pot of some sort to put my water palm in, and
maybe a few fish for an indoor pond up in the kitchen where it can get some
sun light.

The problem I have is that some taddies came in with the plants, oh and a
snake but that is a different thread.

My question...I think they are bull frog tad's based on their size. I'd hate
to put them out to the pond, as the shock would surely kill them. I was
thinking of tossing them into the 55 gallon fresh water tank. Do you think
that would work? I mean, these guys don't need land to hop on yet, so they
should be OK right?

BV.

Old 19-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Mark Bannister

Benign Vanilla wrote:

My question...I think they are bull frog tad's based on their size. I'd hate
to put them out to the pond, as the shock would surely kill them. I was
thinking of tossing them into the 55 gallon fresh water tank. Do you think
that would work? I mean, these guys don't need land to hop on yet, so they
should be OK right?

Tads are pretty tough critters.
Old 19-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Cichlidiot

Benign Vanilla wrote:
I put a kiddie pool in my office this year with the intent of overwintering
a few plants. This is a miserable mess. LOL. I plan to get rid of it, and
buy a nice decorative urn or pot of some sort to put my water palm in, and
maybe a few fish for an indoor pond up in the kitchen where it can get some
sun light.

Not the question that you're asking, but I know last spring they were
selling portable 30-40g ponds (Pop-up or some such name) for a reasonable
price that might do well for overwintering plants indoors. The display
models I saw seemed to be pretty rugged, although flexible. So I suppose
it wouldn't be good if you had small kids or pets that would be bending
the sides. But price wise it was actually a little better than a half
barrel pond if you had to line the barrel.
Old 20-11-2004, 03:46 AM
Russell

I know a few who keep them indoors over the winter, you can see if they are
getting close to needing out of the tank, and they love to eat lettuce!

Old 20-11-2004, 05:56 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message
My question...I think they are bull frog tad's based on their size. I'd

hate
to put them out to the pond, as the shock would surely kill them. I was
thinking of tossing them into the 55 gallon fresh water tank. Do you think
that would work? I mean, these guys don't need land to hop on yet, so they
should be OK right?

==========================
Either that or perhaps gradually get them accustomed to lower water temps,
then return them to the pond. If you keep them indoors make sure you feed
them. The least messy food is crumpled flake food. Eggs make a mess.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone."

Old 22-11-2004, 06:33 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

The problem I have is that some taddies came in with the plants,
I think they are bull frog tad's based on their size.

I have visions of BV getting up some morning and finding frogs jumping
about his house, or gasp in the middle of the night, someone goes a
wandering, squish. Ewww ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 22-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Ka30P

jan wrote finding frogs jumping
about his house, or gasp in the middle of the night,

One year, this was before ponds, some neighbor kids went down the canyon that
runs through our subdivision. There was an old wooden irrigation canal bridge
that crossed overhead and it used to leak, in the puddle below were hundreds of
tadpoles who were going to die when the puddle dried up. The kids rescued them
and brought them home. Home is not where they stayed, their parents said NO.
So, of course, they came here and here they stayed. We had tadpoles all over
the house in containers. This was my first experience raising baby frogs and I
didn't realize how quickly they can go from almost frog to frog.
So.... in the middle of the night baby froglets made their way down the hallway
to the bathroom to visit the porcelain pond. Alas when they got their they
realized the porcelain pond was a raised pond, hundreds of frog feet above
their tiny heads. A person visiting the porcelain pond, turing on the light,
discovered little frog bodies gathered at the base of the porcelain pond.

kathy :-)
3000 gallon pond
800 gallon frog bog
home of the watergardening labradors
zone 7 SE WA state
Old 22-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Derek Broughton

Ka30P wrote:

This was my
first experience raising baby frogs and I didn't realize how quickly they
can go from almost frog to frog.

My first summer with my pond, I had thousands of Toad Tads, and I'd check
them out every day to see if they'd started to grow legs yet. I _swear_
one day there was a small percentage that had just back legs. Everybody
still had tails and no front legs. Then, next day there were hardly any
tads in the pond. I wondered what had eaten them all, until I found there
were hundreds of fully formed, but tiny, toads in the vegetation outside
the pond.

Hindsight is not only 20-20, but I suspect it's sped up :-) There was
probably a weekend in there where I was out of town, or something, but it
happened incredibly fast, in any case.
--
derek