Old 22-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Mike Lyle

Duncan Heenan wrote:
"Sally Holmes" wrote in message
k...

My neighbour wants a small tree (about 30' fully grown) to block

out
an ugly
view. Trouble is, she wants it fully grown next Summer :-) cos the
view's already there. She'd prefer a native species, and one that
will be attractive to wildlife.

1. What small trees can urglers suggest for an urban back-garden.

2. Is there any point in paying £199 for a 5m tree?

3. If the answer to 2 is Yes, has anyone had any experience of
www.celebration-trees.com and/or any other suppliers on large

trees?

TIA

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Evergreen - Yew, Holly Oak (Quercus Ilex), or Eucalyptus
Deciduous - Mountain Ash (Rowan), or Horse Chestnut

I wouldn't call Holly Oak, Eucalyptus, or Horse Chestnut native
species, would you? Many gum trees are indeed fast growers, but they
wouldn't be good for blocking out an ugly view; nor, I think, would a
rowan.

The only 30-footer I can think of for the job is holly: plenty of
ornamental varieties available, but I think they get a bit sparse
lower down as they age. Probably pricey in the big sizes.

Big yews must be extremely expensive too. I like them a lot, but may
seem rather gloomy.

I'd guess West Yorks may be too cold for a Sweet Chestnut to fruit,
but it'd grow nicely: not a native, and will get to 100 ft
eventually.

A Whitebeam could be nice: pleasing silvery leaves, and red berries
(which are edible; but since we don't hear much about that aspect,
maybe not very good). Can get to seventy feet, but I don't remember
ever seeing one anything like that tall.

Maybe the answer's a true Ash, Fraxinus Excelsior? There are golden
and weeping forms, even a golden weeping form; the golden form has
yellow shoots which look good in winter (it says here!). A weeping
form wouldn't get up to anything like the full hundred feet of the
type form; but I don't think you could call it a small tree. Search
"Fraxinus Excelsior 'Jaspidea pendula'".

Mike.