Old 22-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Sally Holmes

Default Trees

My neighbour wants a small tree (about 30' fully grown) to block out an ugly
view. Trouble is, she wants it fully grown next Summer :-) cos the view's
already there. She'd prefer a native species, and one that will be
attractive to wildlife.

1. What small trees can urglers suggest for an urban back-garden.

2. Is there any point in paying £199 for a 5m tree?

3. If the answer to 2 is Yes, has anyone had any experience of
www.celebration-trees.com and/or any other suppliers on large trees?

TIA

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Old 22-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Duncan Heenan

"Sally Holmes" wrote in message
k...

My neighbour wants a small tree (about 30' fully grown) to block out an
ugly
view. Trouble is, she wants it fully grown next Summer :-) cos the view's
already there. She'd prefer a native species, and one that will be
attractive to wildlife.

1. What small trees can urglers suggest for an urban back-garden.

2. Is there any point in paying £199 for a 5m tree?

3. If the answer to 2 is Yes, has anyone had any experience of
www.celebration-trees.com and/or any other suppliers on large trees?

TIA

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Evergreen - Yew, Holly Oak (Quercus Ilex), or Eucalyptus
Deciduous - Mountain Ash (Rowan), or Horse Chestnut

Old 22-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Mike Lyle

Duncan Heenan wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't call Holly Oak, Eucalyptus, or Horse Chestnut native
species, would you? Many gum trees are indeed fast growers, but they
wouldn't be good for blocking out an ugly view; nor, I think, would a
rowan.

The only 30-footer I can think of for the job is holly: plenty of
ornamental varieties available, but I think they get a bit sparse
lower down as they age. Probably pricey in the big sizes.

Big yews must be extremely expensive too. I like them a lot, but may
seem rather gloomy.

I'd guess West Yorks may be too cold for a Sweet Chestnut to fruit,
but it'd grow nicely: not a native, and will get to 100 ft
eventually.

A Whitebeam could be nice: pleasing silvery leaves, and red berries
(which are edible; but since we don't hear much about that aspect,
maybe not very good). Can get to seventy feet, but I don't remember
ever seeing one anything like that tall.

Maybe the answer's a true Ash, Fraxinus Excelsior? There are golden
and weeping forms, even a golden weeping form; the golden form has
yellow shoots which look good in winter (it says here!). A weeping
form wouldn't get up to anything like the full hundred feet of the
type form; but I don't think you could call it a small tree. Search
"Fraxinus Excelsior 'Jaspidea pendula'".

Mike.

Old 22-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Aardvark

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:00:38 GMT, "Sally Holmes"
wrote:

My neighbour wants a small tree (about 30' fully grown) to block out an ugly
view. Trouble is, she wants it fully grown next Summer :-) cos the view's
already there. She'd prefer a native species, and one that will be
attractive to wildlife.

1. What small trees can urglers suggest for an urban back-garden.

2. Is there any point in paying £199 for a 5m tree?

3. If the answer to 2 is Yes, has anyone had any experience of
www.celebration-trees.com and/or any other suppliers on large trees?

TIA

Smaller native trees would include

Creatagus (Hawthorn) - spring flowers and berries in he autumn.
Sorbus spring flowers autumn berries and good leaf colour in the
autumn too.

Does your neighbour want year round screening of the ugly view?
Because that changes the choices. Like a previous poster said Ilex
(Holly) is a good native evergreen choice.

If evergreen sn the requirement then steer the neighbour away from
Leylandii. Cheap they will be, fast to grow and cover the offending
sight too. But apart from the obvious monster hedge problem, they are
just boring.
Old 23-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Pam Moore

wrote:

My neighbour wants a small tree (about 30' fully grown) to block out an ugly
view. Trouble is, she wants it fully grown next Summer :-) cos the view's
already there. She'd prefer a native species, and one that will be
attractive to wildlife.

1. What small trees can urglers suggest for an urban back-garden.

How big is the garden?
What sizeor shape is the view?
Does it need height or spread or both to obscure the eyesore?
Would a columnar conifer like "skyrocket" do the trick or does it need
more width?

Pam in Bristol

Old 23-11-2004, 02:06 PM
Duncan Heenan

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Duncan Heenan wrote:
[...]

Oops! I missed the 'native' criterion. Reading too fast!

Old 23-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

The only 30-footer I can think of for the job is holly: plenty of
ornamental varieties available, but I think they get a bit sparse
lower down as they age. Probably pricey in the big sizes.

The common or garden bog-standard native holly puts up suckers from the
roots, unlike many cultivated ornamental varieties, and tends not to get
thin around the base.

Big yews must be extremely expensive too. I like them a lot, but may
seem rather gloomy.

I've never seen a big yew on offer. They take hundreds of years to get
to any size. (The oldest tree in the British Isles is believed to be the
yew at Fortingall in Perthshire, which is reckoned to be up to five
thousand years old.)

I'd guess West Yorks may be too cold for a Sweet Chestnut to fruit,
but it'd grow nicely: not a native, and will get to 100 ft
eventually.

A Whitebeam could be nice: pleasing silvery leaves, and red berries
(which are edible; but since we don't hear much about that aspect,
maybe not very good). Can get to seventy feet, but I don't remember
ever seeing one anything like that tall.

Varieties of Sorbus are very varied, but they seem to like an alkaline
soil - especially some of the whitebeams.

Maybe the answer's a true Ash, Fraxinus Excelsior? There are golden
and weeping forms, even a golden weeping form; the golden form has
yellow shoots which look good in winter (it says here!). A weeping
form wouldn't get up to anything like the full hundred feet of the
type form; but I don't think you could call it a small tree. Search
"Fraxinus Excelsior 'Jaspidea pendula'".

Hum - quite a pleasant tree, though will quickly get well over thirty
feet. Wood is a bit brittle and branches tend to fall off during high
winds. It has the distinct disadvantage of seeding freely, and before
you know where you are, you have a small forest of walking-sticks.

If you're thinking deciduous, a sycamore is not quite such a large tree,
grows fast to begin with, but - - - seeds itself everywhere.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 23-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Duncan Heenan" contains these words:
"Sally Holmes" wrote in message
k...

My neighbour wants a small tree (about 30' fully grown) to block out an
ugly
view. Trouble is, she wants it fully grown next Summer :-) cos the view's
already there. She'd prefer a native species, and one that will be
attractive to wildlife.

1. What small trees can urglers suggest for an urban back-garden.

2. Is there any point in paying £199 for a 5m tree?

3. If the answer to 2 is Yes, has anyone had any experience of
www.celebration-trees.com and/or any other suppliers on large trees?

Evergreen - Yew, Holly Oak (Quercus Ilex), or Eucalyptus

Yew takes a *VERY* long time and it has no chance of even looking as if
it's grown by next year. Quercus ilex is holm oak, not holly, (which is
Ilex aquifoleum) and which is related, and might be a suitable choice. A
holm oak though, will grow to enormous proportions. Many eucaliptus
trees grow to well over thirty feet, too, and don't make a good screen.

Deciduous - Mountain Ash (Rowan), or Horse Chestnut

Horse chestnut is a big tree too, though it never gets as big as the
holm oak, it will top thirty feet without much problem.

Rowan is a better bet size-wise, and attractive to wildlife, and also
useful (FSVO useful) for making rowan jelly. Horrid stuff, IMO. The view
will return in the autumn though.

In my garden there is an old iron water main or irrigation supply pipe
which has a large-leaf varigated ivy growing up it. After I'd moved in,
it took me quite a while to realise that it was in fact growing up a
pipe and not a dead tree, it is so tree-like, and the sinuous stems of
ivy make it look like knarled old bark.

The birds appreciate the berries, too.

Old 23-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:

2. Is there any point in paying £199 for a 5m tree?

Not in my opinion. I would buy a 2 or 3 yr whip (bare-root from postal
tree nursery such as Buckingham's), now is the perfect time to plant.
Cost, around £2 plus p. and.p. It will establish and grow much faster
than any containerised tree, and be healthier and stronger.

And much less likely to blow over in a high wind.

Old 23-11-2004, 07:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Duncan Heenan" contains these words:

Oops! I missed the 'native' criterion. Reading too fast!

I wouldn't worry - there's no concensus as to what constitutes 'native'
in any case. Some like it to mean trees which colonised Britain after
various ice ages before someone had the sense to cast adrift from
France, others prefer to allow other species whic may have been
introduced by early settlers, or by birds.

All would concur that Eucalyptus doesn't count, though.

Old 23-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Aardvark
writes

Creatagus (Hawthorn) - spring flowers and berries in he autumn.
Sorbus spring flowers autumn berries and good leaf colour in the
autumn too.

Investigate Creatagus crus-gallii a lovely type of hawthorn, I think
it's common name is cock's spur, it has very large oval shiny leaves and
white flowers and thorns quite different to the normal hawthorn.
I have been looking for one
Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 24-11-2004, 10:13 AM
Duncan Heenan

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Aardvark
writes

Creatagus (Hawthorn) - spring flowers and berries in he autumn.
Sorbus spring flowers autumn berries and good leaf colour in the
autumn too.

Investigate Creatagus crus-gallii a lovely type of hawthorn, I think it's
common name is cock's spur, it has very large oval shiny leaves and white
flowers and thorns quite different to the normal hawthorn.
I have been looking for one
Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

I'd think twice about planting anything with thorns, spines or prickles. It
can lead to real maintenance problems later! Also it can lead to injuries
especially to bare feet walking under them in the summer.

Old 24-11-2004, 11:05 PM
p00kie

"Sally Holmes" wrote in message
k...

My neighbour wants a small tree (about 30' fully grown) to block out an
ugly
view. Trouble is, she wants it fully grown next Summer :-) cos the view's
already there. She'd prefer a native species, and one that will be
attractive to wildlife.

1. What small trees can urglers suggest for an urban back-garden.

2. Is there any point in paying £199 for a 5m tree?

3. If the answer to 2 is Yes, has anyone had any experience of
www.celebration-trees.com and/or any other suppliers on large trees?

TIA

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Silver birch ??
Hazels??

Old 25-11-2004, 10:03 PM
Keith Alexander

I looked at their web site what an extremely poor choice!
I would not waste £200 on any of them
A smaller plant will establish much faster than a larger one, there is no
such thing as an instant garden except on TV.

try these

http://www.tree-shop.co.uk
http://www.malletcourt.co.uk/
http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/
I have bought several from
http://www.jaspertrees.co.uk/

Old 27-11-2004, 12:04 AM
ex WGS Hamm

"Sally Holmes" wrote in message
k...

My neighbour wants a small tree (about 30' fully grown) to block out an

ugly
view. Trouble is, she wants it fully grown next Summer :-) cos the view's
already there. She'd prefer a native species, and one that will be
attractive to wildlife.

1. What small trees can urglers suggest for an urban back-garden.

Rowan or mountain ash.

2. Is there any point in paying £199 for a 5m tree?

If she has money to burn why argue.