Old 23-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Duncan Heenan" contains these words:
"Sally Holmes" wrote in message
k...

My neighbour wants a small tree (about 30' fully grown) to block out an
ugly
view. Trouble is, she wants it fully grown next Summer :-) cos the view's
already there. She'd prefer a native species, and one that will be
attractive to wildlife.

1. What small trees can urglers suggest for an urban back-garden.

2. Is there any point in paying £199 for a 5m tree?

3. If the answer to 2 is Yes, has anyone had any experience of
www.celebration-trees.com and/or any other suppliers on large trees?

Evergreen - Yew, Holly Oak (Quercus Ilex), or Eucalyptus

Yew takes a *VERY* long time and it has no chance of even looking as if
it's grown by next year. Quercus ilex is holm oak, not holly, (which is
Ilex aquifoleum) and which is related, and might be a suitable choice. A
holm oak though, will grow to enormous proportions. Many eucaliptus
trees grow to well over thirty feet, too, and don't make a good screen.

Deciduous - Mountain Ash (Rowan), or Horse Chestnut

Horse chestnut is a big tree too, though it never gets as big as the
holm oak, it will top thirty feet without much problem.

Rowan is a better bet size-wise, and attractive to wildlife, and also
useful (FSVO useful) for making rowan jelly. Horrid stuff, IMO. The view
will return in the autumn though.

In my garden there is an old iron water main or irrigation supply pipe
which has a large-leaf varigated ivy growing up it. After I'd moved in,
it took me quite a while to realise that it was in fact growing up a
pipe and not a dead tree, it is so tree-like, and the sinuous stems of
ivy make it look like knarled old bark.

The birds appreciate the berries, too.

--
Rusty