Old 25-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Al

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:18:39 -0500, "Genevieve"
wrote:

What the heck are these things and how can I get rid of them???

They drift around my house like fruit flies but they're not fruit flies.
They're just as tiny but they're not pink.

SNIP

Sounds like you most likely have Fungus Gnats or Shore Flies. Take a
look at the identification section of the link below for a better
diagnosis. The easiest way to tell them apart is by looking at the
antennae and wings. Fungus Gnats have segmented antennae that are
longer than their head. Shore Flies have short, fuzzy, barely
noticeable antennae and 5 white spots on their wings. Getting rid of
them long term is not easy. A few drops of dish soap in the plant
water will kill some of the larvae. Don't use anti bacterial
detergent because it can upset the balance of the soil. The link
suggests adding bacteria to the soil to combat the larvae.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7448.html