Old 27-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Salty Thumb

David Ross wrote in
:

Travis wrote:

David Ross wrote:

"John A. Keslick, Jr." wrote:

--
NEWS FLASH

The book "100 Tree Myths" by one of the foremost authorities
worldwide (SHIGO) today is now out of print. The book though, is
online at:
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/hardt...0TM/index.html

This cited Web site grossly fails to comply with HTML
specifications and cannot be viewed with all browsers.

It works with IE-6 also. Which browser are you talking about?

Yes, I saw a few weeks ago that it works with Mozilla. However,
given the repeated promotion of the site, I tested it at
http://validator.w3.org/ and found that it does not comply with
the HTML 4.01 specification. The W3C validator found numerous
errors.

Aside from not having a DOCTYPE tag, it validates fine as html 3.2.

I think the onus should be on web software makers to provide backward
compatible web software and not on content providers to update web pages
to be compliant ever evolving standards, esp. in the case of something
as plain as the chesco site. In this case I think you are making much
ado about nothing.

But just for fun, I shut down Firefox 1.0 and started up my
IronyDetector Web Browser. For some reason it highlighted this passage:

***
MYTHS are usually started and spread by people who are well-meaning and
dedicated to causes they may or may not understand. Myths often start
from attempts to define reality when information is lacking. ***

On further analysis, I found that the pages were generated with
FrontPage, which is fully compatible only with Internet Explorer
(both being Micro$oft products). With IE's steady decline in
browser market share since its peak in March 2003, Micro$oft's
attempt to create its own standard for HTML will fail. In the
meantime, Web sites seeking broad audiences should heed the W3C
specifications, which "100 Tree Myths" does not.

For further information, see the "Viewable with Any Browser
Campaign" at http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/index.html.