Old 19-11-2004, 05:00 AM
Patrick

Default Redwood trees

I have 4 large redwoods I planted 4 years ago. Three of the four are
growing
Beautifully.The 4th and largest has developed a problem over the past
11-18
months with browning limbs it has slowly spread over the entire
tree.The needles and entire branch slowly die. The trees are all over
25' and have grown according to schedule. (5 feet a year)The tree in
question is still growing and continues to turn out healthy limbs and
is very green at the top. They are on a drip system. I live in
Northern California (Western gardens zone 14)I can send pictures if
you would like. The other three trees are perfect.
Please help!
Old 22-11-2004, 07:24 PM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

NEWS FLASH

The book "100 Tree Myths" by one of the foremost authorities worldwide
(SHIGO) today is now out of print. The book though, is online at:
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/hardt...0TM/index.html

We hope you enjoy this. Please let me know how it looks on your computer.
I would love to hear from people who appreciate this type of stuff.
You can email at .

Other hard to get docs can be found he
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/hardtoget/index.html

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

om...

Old 22-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Travis

John A. Keslick, Jr. wrote:

spam reported to Comcast.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 24-11-2004, 06:28 PM
David Ross

"John A. Keslick, Jr." wrote:

--
NEWS FLASH

The book "100 Tree Myths" by one of the foremost authorities worldwide
(SHIGO) today is now out of print. The book though, is online at:
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/hardt...0TM/index.html

This cited Web site grossly fails to comply with HTML
specifications and cannot be viewed with all browsers.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Old 24-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Travis

David Ross wrote:

"John A. Keslick, Jr." wrote:

--
NEWS FLASH

The book "100 Tree Myths" by one of the foremost authorities worldwide
(SHIGO) today is now out of print. The book though, is online at:
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/hardt...0TM/index.html

This cited Web site grossly fails to comply with HTML
specifications and cannot be viewed with all browsers.

It works with Mozilla.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 24-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Travis

David Ross wrote:

"John A. Keslick, Jr." wrote:

--
NEWS FLASH

The book "100 Tree Myths" by one of the foremost authorities worldwide
(SHIGO) today is now out of print. The book though, is online at:
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/hardt...0TM/index.html

This cited Web site grossly fails to comply with HTML
specifications and cannot be viewed with all browsers.

It works with IE-6 also. Which browser are you talking about?

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 25-11-2004, 03:34 AM
David Ross

Travis wrote:

David Ross wrote:

"John A. Keslick, Jr." wrote:

--
NEWS FLASH

The book "100 Tree Myths" by one of the foremost authorities worldwide
(SHIGO) today is now out of print. The book though, is online at:
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/hardt...0TM/index.html

This cited Web site grossly fails to comply with HTML
specifications and cannot be viewed with all browsers.

It works with IE-6 also. Which browser are you talking about?

Yes, I saw a few weeks ago that it works with Mozilla. However,
given the repeated promotion of the site, I tested it at
http://validator.w3.org/ and found that it does not comply with
the HTML 4.01 specification. The W3C validator found numerous
errors.

On further analysis, I found that the pages were generated with
FrontPage, which is fully compatible only with Internet Explorer
(both being Micro$oft products). With IE's steady decline in
browser market share since its peak in March 2003, Micro$oft's
attempt to create its own standard for HTML will fail. In the
meantime, Web sites seeking broad audiences should heed the W3C
specifications, which "100 Tree Myths" does not.

For further information, see the "Viewable with Any Browser
Campaign" at http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/index.html.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 25-11-2004, 04:30 AM
Warren

David Ross wrote:
Yes, I saw a few weeks ago that it works with Mozilla. However,
given the repeated promotion of the site, I tested it at
http://validator.w3.org/ and found that it does not comply with
the HTML 4.01 specification. The W3C validator found numerous
errors.

Few sites meet HTML 4.01 specifications.

On further analysis, I found that the pages were generated with
FrontPage, which is fully compatible only with Internet Explorer
(both being Micro$oft products). With IE's steady decline in
browser market share since its peak in March 2003, Micro$oft's
attempt to create its own standard for HTML will fail. In the
meantime, Web sites seeking broad audiences should heed the W3C
specifications, which "100 Tree Myths" does not.

Yes. I'm sure that webmasters are rushing to comply with HTML 4.01. Keep
in mind that most non-techy websites are still seeing far greater than
90% of their visitors using IE, and nearly all of the rest using
Mozilla-based browsers like Firefox or Netscape.

Just for the heck of it, I checked www.amazon.com, www.yahoo.com, and
www.google.com. None of them met HTML 4.01 specs.

If someone creates a standard that nearly everyone ignores, is it really
a valid standard? I'm sorry, but the W3C has lost it's credibility by
ignoring the real world.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
See My Christmas Lights:
http://www.holzemville.com/xmas2004/

Old 26-11-2004, 12:51 AM
David Ross

Warren wrote [in part]:

Yes. I'm sure that webmasters are rushing to comply with HTML 4.01. Keep
in mind that most non-techy websites are still seeing far greater than
90% of their visitors using IE, and nearly all of the rest using
Mozilla-based browsers like Firefox or Netscape.

Since it reached a peak in March 2003, IE's share of the browser
market has steadily declined. Refsnes Data (Norway) indicates a
decline from 88.0% at the peak to 74.1% this month, meaining more
than 25% of Web surfers use browsers other than IE. Other surveys
indicate a larger market share for IE but also confirm the
decline.

I recently logged the hits on my own Web site for 48 hours. 14%
were non-IE. 86% (definitely NOT "far greater than 90%") were IE.

And, yes, I do see Web pages that are W3C compliant.

Old 27-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Salty Thumb

David Ross wrote in
:

Travis wrote:

David Ross wrote:

"John A. Keslick, Jr." wrote:

--
NEWS FLASH

The book "100 Tree Myths" by one of the foremost authorities
worldwide (SHIGO) today is now out of print. The book though, is
online at:
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/hardt...0TM/index.html

This cited Web site grossly fails to comply with HTML
specifications and cannot be viewed with all browsers.

It works with IE-6 also. Which browser are you talking about?

Yes, I saw a few weeks ago that it works with Mozilla. However,
given the repeated promotion of the site, I tested it at
http://validator.w3.org/ and found that it does not comply with
the HTML 4.01 specification. The W3C validator found numerous
errors.

Aside from not having a DOCTYPE tag, it validates fine as html 3.2.

I think the onus should be on web software makers to provide backward
compatible web software and not on content providers to update web pages
to be compliant ever evolving standards, esp. in the case of something
as plain as the chesco site. In this case I think you are making much
ado about nothing.

But just for fun, I shut down Firefox 1.0 and started up my
IronyDetector Web Browser. For some reason it highlighted this passage:

***
MYTHS are usually started and spread by people who are well-meaning and
dedicated to causes they may or may not understand. Myths often start
from attempts to define reality when information is lacking. ***

Old 27-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Warren

Salty Thumb wrote:
Aside from not having a DOCTYPE tag, it validates fine as html 3.2.

And without the DOCTYPE tag, the browser reading it should go into
quirks mode. And considering how simple the page is (despite being
created with FrontPage), any browser that couldn't render the pages
should be discarded as flawed software.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
See My Christmas Lights:
http://www.holzemville.com/xmas2004/

[IMG] code is On

Eliminating suckers at the base of redwood trees Ken K Gardening 3 11-08-2020 03:14 AM
[IBC] Curved Dawn Redwood Marty Haber Bonsai 3 04-07-2003 11:20 PM
Redwood Soil Conditioner (Big R) Kazuo Gardening 0 08-04-2003 07:56 PM
[IBC] redwood roots Colin Horn Bonsai 1 13-03-2003 04:32 AM
California Redwood Tree ? Jack Sandweiss alt.forestry 4 12-03-2003 03:25 AM