Old 27-11-2004, 06:53 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
McBad wrote:
Hi, can anyone advise on the best approach with our copper beech hedge.

It was planted three years ago and has not reached it's full intended
height. During this summer the highest straggly shoots did get to nearly
the intended height.

Question is should we leave the hedge to develop, just cutting anything
that
has gone outside the intended shape, or should we cut back again quite
severely (a third of height) to encourage further bushing out?

My advice is the latter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick is correct - a beech hedge should only be allowed to increase width and
height by max. 6 ins p.a. to retain body. The less height and width increase
permitted each year - the better the hedge will be. It's not just a matter
of cutting back by a third of the height.

Pete