Old 09-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Default Semihydrophonics and fungi

Geir,

Plants moved into semi-hydro culture are likely to lose the root system that
was acclimated to the old medium. The degree to which that holds depends on
how similar or dissimilar the conditions are around the roots. It is
because of that loss of roots that it is important to move a plant into S/H
only when it has initiated the growth of new roots, as those will grow the
physical anatomy that is appropriate for S/H, and will support the plant
while the old roots die.

If the plant is well established in S/H, any fungus growing on the old roots
is of little or no concern.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"Geir Harris Hedemark" wrote in message
Larry Dighera writes:
I have a problem with fungus growing in my semihydrophonically planted
orchids. It is bad enough that it is possible to see the whitegreen
fungus on the roots through the transparent pots.

What is the nature of the problem your plants are experiencing? Are
the roots beginning to rot? Or are you just concerned?

I guess I am just concerned.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get rid of the fungi before it kills
off my orchids?

What makes you think the fungus will kill your orchids? Don't orchids

I have a picture in my head of fungi growing in the exact same
conditions which will promote root rot.

Isn't this true?

I guess the problem is mainly one of estethics.

Physan 20 will kill the fungus, but are you sure that is what you
want?

I don't know. Do I?

Geir