Old 27-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Franz Heymann

"McBad" wrote in message
Hi, can anyone advise on the best approach with our copper beech

hedge.

It was planted three years ago and has not reached it's full

intended
height. During this summer the highest straggly shoots did get to

nearly
the intended height.

Question is should we leave the hedge to develop, just cutting

anything that
has gone outside the intended shape, or should we cut back again

quite
severely (a third of height) to encourage further bushing out?

Annually reduce each year's new growth to aout a third of its length.
That way the hedge takes a little longer to reach the intended height,
but is will be bushier.

Franz