Old 28-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , Mike Lyle
mike_lyle_uk@REMO VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
Martin wrote:
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:22:14 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

I have set up an OE message rule that anything crossposted to
certain newsgroups -- you all know the usual ones: demon.local,
etc -- shouldn't appear on my screen. But it doesn't seem to

work:
any ideas?

Show us the rule.

Just the usual nuisance-group thing, for example:
Apply this rule after the message arrives

Where the message is on alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian newsgroup

Delete it

Using Turnpike, I have a rule which deletes all messages posted to
more than (IIRC) 4 ngs - it works very effectively. Can you do this
in OE?

OE has a very clunky way of dealing with blocking: you have to
subscribe to the group, and then apply a message rule which deletes
all incoming from that group. It doesn't offer "delete all message
crossposted to more than n". Which, of course, is why nuisance
posters still find it so easy to do.

They built it years ago, in the days when Bill G wasn't much
interested in the Internet (imagine!), and haven't bothered to make
any improvements. So it remains one of many Microsoddities.

Mike.