Old 27-11-2004, 11:22 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Why doesn't "Block message" work?

I have set up an OE message rule that anything crossposted to certain
newsgroups -- you all know the usual ones: demon.local, etc --
shouldn't appear on my screen. But it doesn't seem to work: any
ideas?

Mike.

Old 28-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Peter Coddington

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
I have set up an OE message rule that anything crossposted to certain
newsgroups -- you all know the usual ones: demon.local, etc --
shouldn't appear on my screen. But it doesn't seem to work: any
ideas?

Mike.

Try Newsgroup( freeserve.help.misc) some expert may give you an answer.
Otherwise a dose of weed killer may assist.
Peter.

Old 28-11-2004, 01:51 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

I have set up an OE message rule that anything crossposted to certain
newsgroups -- you all know the usual ones: demon.local, etc --
shouldn't appear on my screen. But it doesn't seem to work: any
ideas?

At the risk of offending you, and no offence to you intended, try using
a decent newsreader.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 28-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:

I have set up an OE message rule that anything crossposted to

certain
newsgroups -- you all know the usual ones: demon.local, etc --
shouldn't appear on my screen. But it doesn't seem to work: any
ideas?

At the risk of offending you, and no offence to you intended, try
using
a decent newsreader.

No offence at all: I know several of OE's limitations. A change to
Agent or something, however, is likely to take place only at
geological speed. Meanwhile, I've never noticed anybody else
complaining about this "feature", and wondered if I was doing
something wrong.

Mike.

Old 28-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Tumbleweed

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
I have set up an OE message rule that anything crossposted to certain
newsgroups -- you all know the usual ones: demon.local, etc --
shouldn't appear on my screen. But it doesn't seem to work: any
ideas?

Mike.

Check 'mark it as read' and 'delete' it,and set view to only view unread.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 28-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Mike Lyle

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:22:14 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

I have set up an OE message rule that anything crossposted to

certain
newsgroups -- you all know the usual ones: demon.local, etc --
shouldn't appear on my screen. But it doesn't seem to work: any
ideas?

Show us the rule.

Just the usual nuisance-group thing, for example:
Apply this rule after the message arrives

Where the message is on alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian newsgroup

Delete it

Old 28-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Mike Lyle

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
I have set up an OE message rule that anything crossposted to

certain
newsgroups -- you all know the usual ones: demon.local, etc --
shouldn't appear on my screen. But it doesn't seem to work: any
ideas?

Mike.

Check 'mark it as read' and 'delete' it,and set view to only view
unread.

The trouble with that is that I don't want acceptable read messages
deleted automatically, as I often want to re-read things. I just
delete the whole screenful when I've had enough.

Martin: I didn't realize Agent had a version of the same weakness.

Mike.

Old 28-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
wrote:

I have set up an OE message rule that anything crossposted to

certain
newsgroups -- you all know the usual ones: demon.local, etc --
shouldn't appear on my screen. But it doesn't seem to work: any
ideas?

Show us the rule.

Just the usual nuisance-group thing, for example:
Apply this rule after the message arrives

Where the message is on alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian newsgroup

Delete it

Using Turnpike, I have a rule which deletes all messages posted to more
than (IIRC) 4 ngs - it works very effectively. Can you do this in OE?

--
Kay

Old 28-11-2004, 06:41 PM
Tumbleweed

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
I have set up an OE message rule that anything crossposted to

certain
newsgroups -- you all know the usual ones: demon.local, etc --
shouldn't appear on my screen. But it doesn't seem to work: any
ideas?

Mike.

Check 'mark it as read' and 'delete' it,and set view to only view
unread.

The trouble with that is that I don't want acceptable read messages
deleted automatically, as I often want to re-read things. I just
delete the whole screenful when I've had enough.

Martin: I didn't realize Agent had a version of the same weakness.

Mike.

You could try 'mark it as read' by itself and see if that works.

Old 28-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

I have set up an OE message rule that anything crossposted to
certain newsgroups -- you all know the usual ones: demon.local,
etc -- shouldn't appear on my screen. But it doesn't seem to

work:
any ideas?

Show us the rule.

Just the usual nuisance-group thing, for example:
Apply this rule after the message arrives

Where the message is on alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian newsgroup

Delete it

Using Turnpike, I have a rule which deletes all messages posted to
more than (IIRC) 4 ngs - it works very effectively. Can you do this
in OE?

OE has a very clunky way of dealing with blocking: you have to
subscribe to the group, and then apply a message rule which deletes
all incoming from that group. It doesn't offer "delete all message
crossposted to more than n". Which, of course, is why nuisance
posters still find it so easy to do.

They built it years ago, in the days when Bill G wasn't much
interested in the Internet (imagine!), and haven't bothered to make
any improvements. So it remains one of many Microsoddities.

Mike.

Old 28-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
I have set up an OE message rule that anything crossposted to

certain
newsgroups -- you all know the usual ones: demon.local, etc --
shouldn't appear on my screen. But it doesn't seem to work: any
ideas?

Mike.

Check 'mark it as read' and 'delete' it,and set view to only view
unread.

The trouble with that is that I don't want acceptable read messages
deleted automatically, as I often want to re-read things. I just
delete the whole screenful when I've had enough.

Martin: I didn't realize Agent had a version of the same weakness.

I use the flag to mark undesirable threads. Anything which comes up
in them, I then simply mark as read without openind them. That way I
lose nothing, and can even satisfy my curiosity now and again.

Franz

Old 29-11-2004, 12:12 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes

OE has a very clunky way of dealing with blocking: you have to
subscribe to the group, and then apply a message rule which deletes
all incoming from that group. It doesn't offer "delete all message
crossposted to more than n". Which, of course, is why nuisance
posters still find it so easy to do.

Maybe it's all to the good. If OE learns to block cross posters,
nuisance posters will find another way round and those of us who don't
use OE will no longer be smugly immune ;-)
--
Kay

Stabilizer doesn't work in gas with ethanol??? John W Lawns 4 28-10-2008 03:43 PM
Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
Ultamato ultimately doesn't work Claire Petersky Edible Gardening 2 21-08-2006 07:23 PM
Butterfly Bush that doesn't work ??? mbb United Kingdom 42 31-07-2003 09:36 PM
Butterfly Bush that doesn't work ??? mbb United Kingdom 0 22-07-2003 09:14 AM