Old 29-11-2004, 01:36 AM
J. Davidson

We just had 5 mature Leyland Cypress removed. All died in spite of
following advice from the Agriculture Dept, tree surgeons, nursery people,
etc. They never could identify what made them turn brown and die, they
guessed mites, "some bug" etc but we never could find anything. We tried
many sprays, nothing helped. They were in soil with very good drainage,
were fed, watered, etc.
Jackie, zone 7.

"vcardaro" wrote in message

vcardaro Wrote:
I also live in Long Island and have extensive experience with Leylands.
They do not like wet feet (ie sitting in clay for instance). They
should not be planted in fall/early winter due to the last 2 brutal
winters we've had out here. Thousands of leylands wre lost all over
LI. Additionally it is much better to plant smaller material (5/6'
6/8') for better chance at survival. NEVER plant anything over 12-14'
-- it's just not worth the risk.
I've really soured on this this tree in the past 3-4 years. It's a
beautiful evergreen, fast-growing and all that, makes for great privacy
screens etc... but they cannot tolerate a cold north wind and we've had
plenty of that lately. Here in zone 7, we've actually had zone 6
winters for the past 2 years and another one is predicted for this year
(04-05).
YOu can dig around the tree, auger holes beyond the root ball and fill
with bankrun (gravel/sand) to facillitate drainage. Amend also with
compost. Do not use peat.
Also, keep in mind that leylands are famous for seemingly beating these
winters but as soon as it warms up in April/May, they start to turn
brown, and many die by June/July. This is typical. The good news
about leyland though is that they can be shorn and will come back, and
quickly.
Vic

ps they are NOT deer resistant!

--