Old 19-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Tom Newton

Default Leyland Cypress Trouble, Help!

Hi Folks -

I live in Long Island, NY. My wife and I planted 5 Leyland Cypress' last
fall, one in the front corner of the property, and the other 4 to create a
screen in the side rear of the property. They were large nursery bought
examples (8-10 ft each).

I have a problem. After showing no signs of issues throughout our very rough
winter, suddenly, in the last few weeks, two of the four trees along the
side of my property are beginning to get brown from the lower outside
upwards and inwards. Are these trees dying, or are they just recovering from
the winter?

Here's one of my worries. The two that look the worst are the ones with the
least best drainage. While all four are planted in a row along a retaining
wall we built a few years back, these two are the ones that reside in the
low spot of the property... and with all the ice and snow melt we've had,
these two have been sitting in standing water and ice for a few months.

I think I read somewhere that these trees like good drainage... well this
spot has terrible drainage.

Am I up the creek folks? is there anything I can do?

Tom

Old 20-03-2004, 07:02 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Tom Newton" wrote in message
[...]

If the drainage is that poor that there are periods of standing water and
the trees are failing, it is most likely too late. Leylands, like most other
conifers, require good drainage.

Old 24-03-2004, 08:12 PM
KCnRichmond

Leyland's don't like having their feet wet....I'd say they're
done...........Try American Arborvitae,Weeping Willow, and/or Pond or Bald
Cypress...I don't know if Cryptomeria can stand the moisture from experience
but I heard it could...It is deer tolerant....

Old 28-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Registered User

I also live in Long Island and have extensive experience with Leylands. They do not like wet feet (ie sitting in clay for instance). They should not be planted in fall/early winter due to the last 2 brutal winters we've had out here. Thousands of leylands wre lost all over LI. Additionally it is much better to plant smaller material (5/6' 6/8') for better chance at survival. NEVER plant anything over 12-14' -- it's just not worth the risk.
I've really soured on this this tree in the past 3-4 years. It's a beautiful evergreen, fast-growing and all that, makes for great privacy screens etc... but they cannot tolerate a cold north wind and we've had plenty of that lately. Here in zone 7, we've actually had zone 6 winters for the past 2 years and another one is predicted for this year (04-05).
YOu can dig around the tree, auger holes beyond the root ball and fill with bankrun (gravel/sand) to facillitate drainage. Amend also with compost. Do not use peat.
Also, keep in mind that leylands are famous for seemingly beating these winters but as soon as it warms up in April/May, they start to turn brown, and many die by June/July. This is typical. The good news about leyland though is that they can be shorn and will come back, and quickly.
Vic
Old 28-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcardaro
[...]
ps they are NOT deer resistant!

Old 29-11-2004, 01:36 AM
J. Davidson

We just had 5 mature Leyland Cypress removed. All died in spite of
following advice from the Agriculture Dept, tree surgeons, nursery people,
etc. They never could identify what made them turn brown and die, they
guessed mites, "some bug" etc but we never could find anything. We tried
many sprays, nothing helped. They were in soil with very good drainage,
were fed, watered, etc.
Jackie, zone 7.

--
vcardaro

Old 29-11-2004, 10:42 AM
KCnRichmond

June/July. This is typical. The good news
about leyland though is that they can be shorn and will come back, and
quickly.
Vic

ps they are NOT deer resistant!

--
vcardaro

Cryptomeria is deer resistant......................................... ..

[IMG] code is On

Leyland Cypress Trouble, Help! Tom Newton Gardening 0 19-03-2004 04:20 PM
Leyland cypress turned brown-help! The Popovics Gardening 0 07-04-2003 02:08 AM
Propogating Leyland Cypress... TakeThisOut Gardening 2 02-04-2003 04:56 PM
leyland cypress HI HI- Gardening 0 24-03-2003 12:20 AM
leyland cypress Mark or Travis Gardening 13 23-03-2003 04:44 PM