Old 24-11-2004, 09:13 PM
John Bachman

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:00:23 GMT, Crashj
wrote:

On or about Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:41:35 -0500, John Bachman
wrote something like:

Why did you switch off the pump?

If the pond is allowed to run the warmer water at the bottom will move
into contact with the colder water at the top and the pond will freeze
solid. This is because as the water approaches freezing it expands and
floats, leaving behind the warmer water on the bottom where the fish
live.

If you pump from the bottom that might be true, but the original
poster said that freezing is not a problem in his area (hah, here it
comes this winter!).

But a skimmer pulls the water off the top so there is little danger of
pulling up the warmer water at the bottom.

I am sure that there are designs for which this is not true, but I
think that it is for most cases.

I turn my pump off because I fear an ice dam or other diversion that
might drain my pond. Therefore I use a bubbler contraption that runs
off my compressor.

JMHO

John