Old 21-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Killinchy

Default Over-Wintering

Although it's November my pond (700 gal) weed is still growing and now
covers the surface. The fish snooze below. I've switched off the pump, but
I'm a bit concerned that not enough surface is clear to allow sufficient
oxygen to dissolve. Should I clear some of the weed? I'm not too worried
about freezing as I live on Vancouver Island, close to the sea, and it
doesn't get very cold . I hope I'm not tempting fate.

Thanks

Old 21-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Granny Grump

Although it's November my pond (700 gal) weed is still growing and now
covers the surface. The fish snooze below. I've switched off the pump, but
I'm a bit concerned that not enough surface is clear to allow sufficient
oxygen to dissolve. Should I clear some of the weed? I'm not too worried
about freezing as I live on Vancouver Island, close to the sea, and it
doesn't get very cold . I hope I'm not tempting fate.

You might be.

The water hyacinths in my pond were let go, and they finally covered
the whole surface of my pond.

ALL my fish died.
Old 22-11-2004, 06:33 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:23:35 GMT, "Killinchy" wrote:

Although it's November my pond (700 gal) weed is still growing and now
covers the surface. The fish snooze below. I've switched off the pump, but
I'm a bit concerned that not enough surface is clear to allow sufficient
oxygen to dissolve. Should I clear some of the weed? I'm not too worried
about freezing as I live on Vancouver Island, close to the sea, and it
doesn't get very cold . I hope I'm not tempting fate.

Thanks

Add air. Air pump + air stone = oxygenation. ~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 22-11-2004, 12:41 PM
John Bachman

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:33:53 -0800, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:23:35 GMT, "Killinchy" wrote:

Although it's November my pond (700 gal) weed is still growing and now
covers the surface. The fish snooze below. I've switched off the pump, but
I'm a bit concerned that not enough surface is clear to allow sufficient
oxygen to dissolve. Should I clear some of the weed? I'm not too worried
about freezing as I live on Vancouver Island, close to the sea, and it
doesn't get very cold . I hope I'm not tempting fate.

Thanks

Add air. Air pump + air stone = oxygenation. ~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Why did you switch off the pump?

John

Old 22-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Killinchy

wrote:

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:23:35 GMT, "Killinchy" wrote:

Although it's November my pond (700 gal) weed is still growing and now
covers the surface. The fish snooze below. I've switched off the pump,

but
I'm a bit concerned that not enough surface is clear to allow sufficient
oxygen to dissolve. Should I clear some of the weed? I'm not too

worried
about freezing as I live on Vancouver Island, close to the sea, and it
doesn't get very cold . I hope I'm not tempting fate.

Thanks

Add air. Air pump + air stone = oxygenation. ~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Why did you switch off the pump?

John

I (mistakenly?) thought that the hibernating fish didn't need much oxygen.
I do have an air stone which I'll switch on

thanks

Old 24-11-2004, 09:13 PM
John Bachman

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:00:23 GMT, Crashj
wrote:

On or about Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:41:35 -0500, John Bachman
wrote something like:

Why did you switch off the pump?

If the pond is allowed to run the warmer water at the bottom will move
into contact with the colder water at the top and the pond will freeze
solid. This is because as the water approaches freezing it expands and
floats, leaving behind the warmer water on the bottom where the fish
live.

If you pump from the bottom that might be true, but the original
poster said that freezing is not a problem in his area (hah, here it
comes this winter!).

But a skimmer pulls the water off the top so there is little danger of
pulling up the warmer water at the bottom.

I am sure that there are designs for which this is not true, but I
think that it is for most cases.

I turn my pump off because I fear an ice dam or other diversion that
might drain my pond. Therefore I use a bubbler contraption that runs
off my compressor.

JMHO

John

Spider mites, over and over and over Jonathan Sachs[_2_] Gardening 9 09-08-2007 04:37 AM
over-wintering floaters and little bugs J. LaQuiere Ponds 12 14-02-2004 07:17 AM
Wintering over shallow ponds NJ Ponds 3 31-08-2003 11:02 PM
wintering over potatoes Rob Dougan Gardening 4 18-08-2003 06:43 PM
Wintering over [was Herbs? ] Texensis Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM