Old 29-11-2004, 07:33 PM
MG

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:25:20 +0000, laura
wrote:

I can't find anywhere that tells me how to do this
I have several medium sized trees in a woody area which I think is the
best site - and I have 2 boxes ( not sure what they are but they don't
have round holes so I suppose they're bat boxes) & I can't see how
they're fixed

Is it Ok to nail/screw - I'd prefer not to - & if not then how?

I have a shed with eaves which is quite high off the ground - but is it
an issue under the eaves where things can reach down from the roof? (
they could get access via next door's oak tree)

Here is a thread I started on uk.rec.birdwatching on just this issue !

"MG" wrote in message
Hi

Anyone know a good resource on the web for info on styles of boxes for
specific birds and details of siting etc?
**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!

The following site is very good for practical manufacture as well as
information. I can make (and have) hundreds of nestboxes very cheaply,
perhaps around £2.20 each that have lasted up to 7 years so far.

http://www.lincstrust.org.uk/factsheets/nestbox.php

eddy bayton

Wilkinsons have some in the pet section for £1.49 (although says 99p
in brochure!)! They are only really suitable for Tits.

I want to make a Robin compat one up for my Robins though.

I have had an RSPB green plastic 'log effect' Tit box up for 2 years
and no takers. In a nice quiet sheltered cormer too...

It is the siting issue I want to address....

I did see a brief synopsis on this site after I posted:

http://www.sussexwt.org.uk/bird_boxes.htm

MG
**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!