Old 19-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Registered User

Default Attaching birdboxes to trees/sheds

I can't find anywhere that tells me how to do this
I have several medium sized trees in a woody area which I think is the best site - and I have 2 boxes ( not sure what they are but they don't have round holes so I suppose they're bat boxes) & I can't see how they're fixed

Is it Ok to nail/screw - I'd prefer not to - & if not then how?

I have a shed with eaves which is quite high off the ground - but is it an issue under the eaves where things can reach down from the roof? ( they could get access via next door's oak tree)
__________________
laura
Old 19-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Dwayne

What kind of birds do you want to attract? Some wrens like houses under
your house eaves. Some birds want to be out in the open (blue birds). All
birds don't like the wind blowing into the opening, or the sun shining in
during the hot part of the day.

I think under the eaves would be fine. I nail or screw mine there or onto
the side of a tree. They work very well except for the occasional snake
that makes its way up the tree and into the bird house.

Most importantly, set them where you can observe and enjoy the birds without
bothering them.

Have fun and Enjoy.

--
laura

Old 19-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Mike Lyle

"laura" wrote in message

I can't find anywhere that tells me how to do this
I have several medium sized trees in a woody area which I think is
the best site - and I have 2 boxes ( not sure what they are but

they
don't have round holes so I suppose they're bat boxes) & I can't

see
how they're fixed

Is it Ok to nail/screw - I'd prefer not to - & if not then how?

I have a shed with eaves which is quite high off the ground - but

is
it an issue under the eaves where things can reach down from the
roof? ( they could get access via next door's oak tree)

As Dwayne says, it's important to avoid a southern aspect. There are
good instructions available from several sources: RSPB on line is
always the place to start.

For bat boxes, I think the Conservation Trust is where I got a good
leaflet; don't know if they're on line, though.

Nails into trees are ok if the trees will never be used for timber:
use 3" minimum (I'd use 4"), drilling the box first to save
splitting. But I would never nail into any of the prunus (plum,
cherry, almond etc) as they're likely to catch diseases through a
wound.

Mike.

Old 19-11-2004, 05:39 PM
bnd777

"laura" wrote in message

[...]

Blue tits like their boxes to face North

Old 19-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Michael Savage

"laura" wrote in message

I can't find anywhere that tells me how to do this
I have several medium sized trees in a woody area which I think is the
best site - and I have 2 boxes ( not sure what they are but they don't
have round holes so I suppose they're bat boxes) & I can't see how
they're fixed

Is it Ok to nail/screw - I'd prefer not to - & if not then how?

I have a shed with eaves which is quite high off the ground - but is it
an issue under the eaves where things can reach down from the roof? (
they could get access via next door's oak tree)

--
laura

Bat boxes are usually small flattish things with a tiny crack underneath
(bats have very small heads and bodies) so my bet is you've got an opening
on the front about 10-15cm square or rectangular? Good for robins and a
bunch of other species. BTO do a fanatastic book on nestboxes, and RSPB have
info too
http://www.rspb.org/gardens/guide/atoz/n/nestbox.asp

Michael S

Old 19-11-2004, 08:17 PM
ned

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
"laura" wrote in message

[...]

'Can't be authoritive about nails in trees but,
....... I wouldn't. We have an old hollow tree and its plain that nails
were hammered into it.
Whether that was cause and effect, I can't say, but a similar tree
grows very healthily close by.
I tie my nest boxes into the angles between branches. The boxes have
to come down every couple of years to be cleaned out so they never get
permanently wedged in.
And the trouble with shed attachments is that the shed might get a
fair bit of use during the nesting season which will put the nesters
off.
Its never easy, is it. :-)

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 12.11.2004

Old 19-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Franz Heymann

"laura" wrote in message

I can't find anywhere that tells me how to do this
I have several medium sized trees in a woody area which I think is

the
best site - and I have 2 boxes ( not sure what they are but they

don't
have round holes so I suppose they're bat boxes) & I can't see how
they're fixed

Is it Ok to nail/screw - I'd prefer not to - & if not then how?

Skyhooks?
{:-))

Franz

(

Old 20-11-2004, 11:03 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
But I would never nail into any of the prunus (plum,
cherry, almond etc) as they're likely to catch diseases through a
wound.

Cherry aids?

Old 29-11-2004, 07:33 PM
MG

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:25:20 +0000, laura
wrote:

I can't find anywhere that tells me how to do this
I have several medium sized trees in a woody area which I think is the
best site - and I have 2 boxes ( not sure what they are but they don't
have round holes so I suppose they're bat boxes) & I can't see how
they're fixed

Is it Ok to nail/screw - I'd prefer not to - & if not then how?

I have a shed with eaves which is quite high off the ground - but is it
an issue under the eaves where things can reach down from the roof? (
they could get access via next door's oak tree)

Here is a thread I started on uk.rec.birdwatching on just this issue !

"MG" wrote in message
Hi

Anyone know a good resource on the web for info on styles of boxes for
specific birds and details of siting etc?
**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!

The following site is very good for practical manufacture as well as
information. I can make (and have) hundreds of nestboxes very cheaply,
perhaps around £2.20 each that have lasted up to 7 years so far.

http://www.lincstrust.org.uk/factsheets/nestbox.php

eddy bayton

Wilkinsons have some in the pet section for £1.49 (although says 99p
in brochure!)! They are only really suitable for Tits.

I want to make a Robin compat one up for my Robins though.

I have had an RSPB green plastic 'log effect' Tit box up for 2 years
and no takers. In a nice quiet sheltered cormer too...

It is the siting issue I want to address....

I did see a brief synopsis on this site after I posted:

http://www.sussexwt.org.uk/bird_boxes.htm

MG
**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!

Attaching lights to trees Steve Holzworth North Carolina 6 19-09-2005 09:56 PM
Attaching Stones matt Ponds 1 19-04-2003 07:32 AM
Attaching climber support to concrete posts? Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 3 09-04-2003 08:56 AM
Attaching shadecloth to an aluminium greenhouse Red Sky Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Wall Attaching Alison United Kingdom 3 20-02-2003 11:39 AM