Old 24-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

Oh, phoo! You've heard of "safe sex?" We're practicing "Safe
Bonsai growing."

danger and to know haw to play the right rules is a part of the game
too safe .. is like eat syntehtic meat instead of a T bone steak IMHO !

When you add dirt you cannot avoid adding pathogens (unless, of
course, you sterilize the dirt, and I know you don't) and, like
casual sexual partners and STD, while chances are fairly good
that the pathogen you add will NOT hurt your tree, there is the
chance that it will.

trees always lived in nature and patogenes made them stronger ( the
one that survived at least ) and a lot survived and made a strong breed

As for compost, GOOD compost is self-sterilized. It gets HOT in
a good, well-turned compost pile. Still, compost is pretty fine-
grained soil and since it is the product of decay so by
definition if it has decay bacteria included in it, your compost
will only get finer as time goes on. That clogs up your soil.

yes but generally it takes two years to make a good compost
I use it after this time when I need repotting

It is often forgotten, but roots need more than water and
nutrients. They need air. Clogged soil interferes with the
provision of air to the roots.

yes of course
but in real nature you have grit and soil and trees live in the
one tehy are fitted to live in .. a seed in a wrong soil wither and die
some prefer in calcar some acidic some live in clay or silica
others in swamp
of course we have , due to the reduced space of a pot to create the
ideal place for roots to develope but if we only use non-soil and
fertilizers we do a sort of syntetic environment

similar to hydroculture but instead of water we use a moist solid
medium the non -soil!

it is not a normal environment , and beside that patogenes are
carried by wind insects animal dejections and whatever unless you
grow your bonsais under a glass bell cut form whatever contact with
the external world

but this is almost possible now or in labs, but not during the
centuries before ,and Bonsai art survived patogenes and all different
soils and mix

Over time, the pine bark we use decomposes bit and actually
becomes a kind of soil in our pot. About then, though, we
repot.

exactly
and air does not circulate as well as in the beginning of repotting ..

in this way we could grow bonsai in chopped glass grit
and add macro and micro elements when needed

but would it be to make Bonsai ? :-)
a doctor told me lately
we are not healty in the meaniong of viruses or desease -free
we are filled up with viruses and microbs that cannot develope and
kill us as we have immuno defenses but to have tehm we must be in
contanct with viruses or micronbs to develope them

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :