Old 27-11-2004, 04:06 AM
Mark D Henning

Default Botanica ROSES and zone questions

I have a copy of the Botanica's Roses book. It looks as though it
were published in Austrailia.

They have worldwide maps of hardiness zones. I am a bit confused...
Although the zones are defined the same way as the USDA zones
(zone4 = -20, -30). However, the actual maps place minneapolis in
zone 3. We're definitely in Zone 4.

It's not the discrepancy that I'm concerned about. There are several
roses that Botanica places as zone 4 hardy that fall into categories
that are normally not considered zone 4.

What I'm wondering is if I would be unwise to consider these "midling
hardy" and thus not worry about doing a full Minnesota tip, and
instead use a less involved method like mounding, and surrounding the
bush with straw in a chicken-wire cage? OR... Should I consder these
the more likely to survive even with a minnesota tip? (over those that
are listed 5 and 6)

Any opinions?

-Mark