Old 01-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Jim Carlock

Well, the mention of lily... I recalled putting a bulb into the
bottom of one of these pots over the summer, I dug it up
a couple times over the next month or two because I've
quite a few of these pots and I've just planted seeds here
and there in each and am waiting to be surprised.

Some of these darn seeds take a month or two to make
it out of the soil!

Anyways, the bulb was about the size of a big baby's fist.
Maybe a five or six year old's fist. Maybe just a little bigger.

Could one bulb result in two clusters like that? One of
the day-lily pics I found on Google look pretty close to
the current arrangement.

http://mgonline.com/daylily01.jpg

And I recall seeing such a flower in a some other pot earlier
during the summer. That pic above is not my flower just a
flower I found in Google images searching for "day lily".

g New word... as far as distichous goes, this thing fans
out in all directions rather than the leaves growing upwards
and sits nice and flat and horizontal with leaves growing
radially.

More words... rosette and whorl. Both seem to describe the
leaves on this. Acuminate as well.
http://www.lucidcentral.org/keys/app.../glossary.html

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to newsgroup.

"Cereus-validus..." wrote:
Hemerocallis have distichous leaves arranged in a fan. The plant in the pic
has leaves in a spiralled rosette more like a a true Lilium.

Will need to wait until it blooms to ID it.

"Ricky" wrote:

"Jim Carlock" wrote:
There are two of these things that started growing in a small
pot (pot is about 6 in. x 8 in. diameter/height).

http://www.microcosmotalk.com/images...n/unk14053.jpg
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/images...n/unk14055.jpg

Looks like a Day Lily