Old 30-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Jim Carlock

Default Identity?

There are two of these things that started growing in a small
pot (pot is about 6 in. x 8 in. diameter/height).

http://www.microcosmotalk.com/images...n/unk14053.jpg
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/images...n/unk14055.jpg

There's a third plant that started growing in the pot as well
that I think is a some kind of Florida weed, but these are
the ones that I'd like to identify right at the moment. I don't
see them anywhere else anywhere.

The plants are 4 inches high by 6 inches in diameter.

The leaves feel rubbery and grow out from the center in all
directions. Could these be small pineapples just starting out?

I don't remember planting any pineapple seeds, and I don't
even know what a pineapple seed looks like. Probably just
another Florida weed...

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to newsgroup.

Old 01-12-2004, 12:55 AM
Ricky

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message
news
There are two of these things that started growing in a small
pot (pot is about 6 in. x 8 in. diameter/height).

http://www.microcosmotalk.com/images...n/unk14053.jpg
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/images...n/unk14055.jpg

Looks like a Day Lily

Old 01-12-2004, 02:09 AM
Jim Carlock

I've got some other questions too... anyone know where there
is a site that might give a list of the terms used to describe
leaves? I know some leaves grow three at a time and some
grow on opposing stems and I'm ignorant when it comes to
the terms used to describe such leaves.

Thanks.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to newsgroup.

Old 01-12-2004, 03:35 AM
Pen

Something from the lily family?
Old 01-12-2004, 04:53 AM
Cereus-validus...

Hemerocallis have distichous leaves arranged in a fan. The plant in the pic
has leaves in a spiralled rosette more like a a true Lilium.

Will need to wait until it blooms to ID it.

Old 01-12-2004, 04:55 AM
Cereus-validus...

That really narrows it down...........NOT.

If that's your best guess, Penplee, you may as well just go back to sleep.

"Pen" wrote in message
om...
Something from the lily family?

Old 01-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Jim Carlock

Well, the mention of lily... I recalled putting a bulb into the
bottom of one of these pots over the summer, I dug it up
a couple times over the next month or two because I've
quite a few of these pots and I've just planted seeds here
and there in each and am waiting to be surprised.

Some of these darn seeds take a month or two to make
it out of the soil!

Anyways, the bulb was about the size of a big baby's fist.
Maybe a five or six year old's fist. Maybe just a little bigger.

Could one bulb result in two clusters like that? One of
the day-lily pics I found on Google look pretty close to
the current arrangement.

http://mgonline.com/daylily01.jpg

And I recall seeing such a flower in a some other pot earlier
during the summer. That pic above is not my flower just a
flower I found in Google images searching for "day lily".

g New word... as far as distichous goes, this thing fans
out in all directions rather than the leaves growing upwards
and sits nice and flat and horizontal with leaves growing
radially.

More words... rosette and whorl. Both seem to describe the
leaves on this. Acuminate as well.
http://www.lucidcentral.org/keys/app.../glossary.html

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to newsgroup.

Old 01-12-2004, 10:00 PM
William Brown

My wife likes to use
http://forestry.about.com/library/treekey/bltree_key_id_start.htm

"Jim Carlock" wrote:
[...]

there.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:16 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:18:46 GMT, "Jim Carlock"
wrote:

Well, the mention of lily... I recalled putting a bulb into the
bottom of one of these pots over the summer, I dug it up
a couple times over the next month or two because I've
quite a few of these pots and I've just planted seeds here
and there in each and am waiting to be surprised.

You will considerably reduce the possibility of *anything* growing if
you keep digging things up. Put a label in/on the pot.

Could one bulb result in two clusters like that?

Yes.

One of
the day-lily pics I found on Google look pretty close to
the current arrangement.

http://mgonline.com/daylily01.jpg

That picture is not a daylily (Hemerocallis), but of an Asiatic lily
(lilium). Neither have leaves like those in your photo. Yours looked
more like an Amaryllis or Hippeastrum. Wait 'til it blooms, and then
post photo.

More words... rosette and whorl. Both seem to describe the
leaves on this. Acuminate as well.

Try this:

http://www.botany.com/index.16.htm

http://www.lucidcentral.org/keys/app.../glossary.html

(Why are you looking at a glossary of aquarium plants for a
terrestrial bulb?)

[IMG] code is On

plant identity redstar United Kingdom 8 09-07-2003 04:28 PM
Dendrobium nobile identity Wing Orchids 5 06-05-2003 06:20 PM
Wildflower identity Scott Ranger Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:27 PM
pear identity crisis Liz & Andy United Kingdom 1 15-04-2003 04:33 PM
identity required - is it a weed.... Pam Moore United Kingdom 3 29-10-2002 08:02 AM