Old 01-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Richard Sterry

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

I am investigating options for tall thin evergreens that don't block the
light but which will help to obscure the view of a new house nearby that
is overlooking and higher than our beech hedge. I was thinking that I
could put in a short row of something like Juniper Skyrocket or similar
in between our house and our beech hedge, to punctuate the view a bit.
My question is how far away from a building does something like
Skyrocket need to be planted? If it needs to be 10ft plus away I can't
use it, I need something that will grow tall but not spreading to give
access to the hedge for trimming, and to allow access alongside the
house. It needs to be tolerant of some shade as it's between the house
and a hedge but it does get some light, and it is semi-sheltered there.

Any help/advice/suggestions of other shrubs/trees appreciated.

I had a Juniper Skyrocket for many years at my last house, very close to the
building - like about 1 metre if that. When I eventually had to remove it, I
found that the root structure was quite modest and not a threat to the
building. So, I wouldn't worry about Skyrocket causing damage to your house,
but Leylandii are in a different league!

Rick