Old 01-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Lynda Thornton

Default Tree distance from buildings - Juniper Skyrocket

Hi

I am investigating options for tall thin evergreens that don't block the
light but which will help to obscure the view of a new house nearby that
is overlooking and higher than our beech hedge. I was thinking that I
could put in a short row of something like Juniper Skyrocket or similar
in between our house and our beech hedge, to punctuate the view a bit.
My question is how far away from a building does something like
Skyrocket need to be planted? If it needs to be 10ft plus away I can't
use it, I need something that will grow tall but not spreading to give
access to the hedge for trimming, and to allow access alongside the
house. It needs to be tolerant of some shade as it's between the house
and a hedge but it does get some light, and it is semi-sheltered there.

Any help/advice/suggestions of other shrubs/trees appreciated.

Lynda
Old 01-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Lynda Thornton wrote:

I am investigating options for tall thin evergreens that don't block the
light but which will help to obscure the view of a new house nearby that
is overlooking and higher than our beech hedge. I was thinking that I
could put in a short row of something like Juniper Skyrocket or similar
in between our house and our beech hedge, to punctuate the view a bit.
My question is how far away from a building does something like
Skyrocket need to be planted? If it needs to be 10ft plus away I can't
use it, I need something that will grow tall but not spreading to give
access to the hedge for trimming, and to allow access alongside the
house. It needs to be tolerant of some shade as it's between the house
and a hedge but it does get some light, and it is semi-sheltered there.

Assuming normal foundations, you are unlikely to have trouble with
what is really just a hedge. But what is your soil? Juniper won't
like that position if it is clayey.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:55 PM
nambucca

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
[...]

All conifers will turn the soil acid and affect the growth of your beech
hedge but i dont think the roots of sky riocket should be a problem
Leylandi is a whole different story of course

Old 01-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Richard Sterry

[...]

I had a Juniper Skyrocket for many years at my last house, very close to the
building - like about 1 metre if that. When I eventually had to remove it, I
found that the root structure was quite modest and not a threat to the
building. So, I wouldn't worry about Skyrocket causing damage to your house,
but Leylandii are in a different league!

Rick

Old 01-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Mike Lyle

Richard Sterry wrote:
[...]

Right. But I can't see a group of Skyrocket making any difference to
the view: they'll take years and years to reach fifteen feet in
height. I'm not sure, but I think they prefer full sun; though I
suppose partial shade might encourage them to grow tall faster.

Mike.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"nambucca" wrote in message

[snip]

All conifers will turn the soil acid and affect the growth of your

beech
hedge

What is the evidence which supports this odd statement?

[snip]

Franz

Old 01-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Mike Lyle

Franz Heymann wrote:
"nambucca" wrote in message

[snip]

All conifers will turn the soil acid and affect the growth of your
beech hedge

What is the evidence which supports this odd statement?

Ronald Reagan said they caused acid rain, so it must be right.

Mike.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Richard Sterry

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
I had a Juniper Skyrocket for many years at my last house, very

close
to the building - like about 1 metre if that. When I eventually had
to remove it, I found that the root structure was quite modest and
not a threat to the building. So, I wouldn't worry about Skyrocket
causing damage to your house, but Leylandii are in a different

league!

Right. But I can't see a group of Skyrocket making any difference to
the view: they'll take years and years to reach fifteen feet in
height. I'm not sure, but I think they prefer full sun; though I
suppose partial shade might encourage them to grow tall faster.

Mike.

True, they aren't the fastest of growers, and being so thin you'd have to
plant them very close together indeed. More of a specimen tree (if that's
the right word) rather than a hedging plant.

Rick

Old 01-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Kay

In article , Richard Sterry
writes
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
I had a Juniper Skyrocket for many years at my last house, very

close
to the building - like about 1 metre if that. When I eventually had
to remove it, I found that the root structure was quite modest and
not a threat to the building. So, I wouldn't worry about Skyrocket
causing damage to your house, but Leylandii are in a different

league!

Right. But I can't see a group of Skyrocket making any difference to
the view: they'll take years and years to reach fifteen feet in
height. I'm not sure, but I think they prefer full sun; though I
suppose partial shade might encourage them to grow tall faster.

True, they aren't the fastest of growers, and being so thin you'd have to
plant them very close together indeed. More of a specimen tree (if that's
the right word) rather than a hedging plant.

that's what the OP was after - something to attract the eye this side of
the hedge so attention wasn't so much focussed on the building
--
Kay

Old 01-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article , Richard Sterry
writes
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
[...]

I wasn't thinking of them as a hedging plant, as I know they are thin
and I don't want another hedge, I just want something to break up the
view from the window, not block it altogether.

I know there are other thin and tall junipers similar to Skyrocket, has
anyone seen or grown these?

Lynda

Old 02-12-2004, 07:22 AM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:
"nambucca" wrote in message

[snip]

All conifers will turn the soil acid and affect the growth of

your
beech hedge

What is the evidence which supports this odd statement?

Ronald Reagan said they caused acid rain, so it must be right.

{:-))

Ah..... The great intellectual president........ I bow my head.

Franz