Old 01-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Mike Lyle

Richard Sterry wrote:
"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

I am investigating options for tall thin evergreens that don't

block
the light but which will help to obscure the view of a new house
nearby that is overlooking and higher than our beech hedge. I was
thinking that I could put in a short row of something like Juniper
Skyrocket or similar in between our house and our beech hedge, to
punctuate the view a bit. My question is how far away from a
building does something like Skyrocket need to be planted? If it
needs to be 10ft plus away I can't use it, I need something that
will grow tall but not spreading to give access to the hedge for
trimming, and to allow access alongside the house. It needs to be
tolerant of some shade as it's between the house and a hedge but

it
does get some light, and it is semi-sheltered there.

Any help/advice/suggestions of other shrubs/trees appreciated.

I had a Juniper Skyrocket for many years at my last house, very

close
to the building - like about 1 metre if that. When I eventually had
to remove it, I found that the root structure was quite modest and
not a threat to the building. So, I wouldn't worry about Skyrocket
causing damage to your house, but Leylandii are in a different

league!

Right. But I can't see a group of Skyrocket making any difference to
the view: they'll take years and years to reach fifteen feet in
height. I'm not sure, but I think they prefer full sun; though I
suppose partial shade might encourage them to grow tall faster.

Mike.