Old 01-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Theo

well I read the whole mail I guess it is better you destroy your tree
burn it it is in a very advanced stage . avoid contact and
contamination with the your otehrs bonsai and environment of the place
you live
probaly other people will tell ya the same

Tony wrote:

Hi:

I have found borers on a Picea (A. Nidiformis ... I think) that a friend
brought me a couple of weeks ago !!

I have read up all I could about it (including all of Nina's old posts) and
there seems to be little I can do to erradicate them.

Half of the tree is dead (the other half looks weak) so the bark flakes off
easily. There I have found some tunels under the bark. Some of them lead or
come from a sort of oval depressions. Some of them are blocked with resin as
the tree tried to fight this off. I can only find two probable entry points:
one is about 3 mm, the other 1 mm in diameter. In only one tunel I have
found evidence of being recent.

The question is:

Should I forget about this tree? Does the tree have a chance?

I know it is hard to say, but what does your experience tell? I don't even
know if these "miners" are active or not.

Some pictures at : http://es.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ast...bum?.dir=/3d01

I don't know if I should worry much about borers spreading. I live in a
countryside where most trees of some age seem to be affected by borers and
flat-big headed larvae living beneath bark.

Regards,
Tony
Zone 10a

--