Old 01-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Tony

Default Borers in Picea

Hi:

I have found borers on a Picea (A. Nidiformis ... I think) that a friend
brought me a couple of weeks ago !!

I have read up all I could about it (including all of Nina's old posts) and
there seems to be little I can do to erradicate them.

Half of the tree is dead (the other half looks weak) so the bark flakes off
easily. There I have found some tunels under the bark. Some of them lead or
come from a sort of oval depressions. Some of them are blocked with resin as
the tree tried to fight this off. I can only find two probable entry points:
one is about 3 mm, the other 1 mm in diameter. In only one tunel I have
found evidence of being recent.

The question is:

Should I forget about this tree? Does the tree have a chance?

I know it is hard to say, but what does your experience tell? I don't even
know if these "miners" are active or not.

Some pictures at : http://es.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ast...bum?.dir=/3d01

I don't know if I should worry much about borers spreading. I live in a
countryside where most trees of some age seem to be affected by borers and
flat-big headed larvae living beneath bark.

Regards,
Tony
Zone 10a

Old 01-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Theo

Marshall is a product that works from the within ( roots absorbtion
and inject some in the holes
I had them 2 years ago in a deshojo I bought and apparently 2 years
after is fine and growing well

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 01-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Theo

well I read the whole mail I guess it is better you destroy your tree
burn it it is in a very advanced stage . avoid contact and
contamination with the your otehrs bonsai and environment of the place
you live
probaly other people will tell ya the same

Old 01-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Jim Lewis

On 1 Dec 2004 at 20:39, Tony wrote:

Hi:

I have found borers on a Picea (A. Nidiformis ... I think) that a friend
brought me a couple of weeks ago !!

I have read up all I could about it (including all of Nina's old posts) and
there seems to be little I can do to erradicate them.

Half of the tree is dead (the other half looks weak) so the bark flakes off
easily. There I have found some tunels under the bark. Some of them lead or
come from a sort of oval depressions. Some of them are blocked with resin as
the tree tried to fight this off. I can only find two probable entry points:
one is about 3 mm, the other 1 mm in diameter. In only one tunel I have
found evidence of being recent.

The question is:

Should I forget about this tree? Does the tree have a chance?

Borers don't attack healthy trees; this tree was already under
some kind of serious stress when the borers found it.
Especially if these are bark borers (NOT going into dead wood)
you probably don't have a prayer of saving the tree.

Unless you have other spruce (or closely related species) the
borer may not attack your other trees. And again, they'll have
to be doing poorly first -- though the stress of a drastic root
pruning could be enough.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-12-2004, 06:47 AM
Theo

When I found mine borers in the maple I telephoned to the forestal and
agricultural school at Lullier- Geneva and asked for advice
and they told me to use Marshall( that incidentally I had , and inject
in the holes as I already said
first of all I tried to dig out the borer with a thin wire copper
oo aluminium for bonsai and tried different directions ..

I noticed that it had borers as I found some sow dust on the soil in
two different moments of the day.. and I knew that should have not been
there
after cleaning as much as I could the holes that passed trought the
neabari I sealed them with beewax..
The Marshal product is given by watering and absorbed by the tree
poisoning the bark wood so borers eat it and die ..

Old 02-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Nina

Tony wrote:

I have read up all I could about it (including all of Nina's old

posts) and
there seems to be little I can do to erradicate them.

I don't need to say much, then (lucky for everybody). Yet I must
repeat, as I have 10,000 times, that borers are a sign of stress, and
in your case, the stress is tropical conditions on a boreal species.
Next time it might be a botryosphaeria canker... there are lots of
organisms that will attack a stressed tree, but not a healthy tree.

That being said, if you don't mind dead-wood, you can carve out borers.
I had an apricot bonsai that got plum borer (a borer that can only
penetrate at a pruning wound, so can be prevented once you know what's
going on). I successfully eradicated the borers and the tree thrived,
but the surgery I did looked ridiculous on a non-conifer, so I gave up
and planted the tree. As soon as I find a good source of single-white
blossom flowering apricots, I'll try again, because I love apricot
flowers. There's something so pretty about such delicate, fragrant
flowers blooming so early against a background of black bark.

Nina

Old 02-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Craig Cowing

Nina wrote:

Tony wrote:

snip

That being said, if you don't mind dead-wood, you can carve out borers.
I had an apricot bonsai that got plum borer (a borer that can only
penetrate at a pruning wound, so can be prevented once you know what's
going on). I successfully eradicated the borers and the tree thrived,
but the surgery I did looked ridiculous on a non-conifer, so I gave up
and planted the tree. As soon as I find a good source of single-white
blossom flowering apricots, I'll try again, because I love apricot
flowers. There's something so pretty about such delicate, fragrant
flowers blooming so early against a background of black bark.

Nina

I don't have any experience with this type of borer, but I had them for a couple of
years on some collected wild crabapples. I just carved out the tunnels they had
made and turned them into areas of deadwood. Adds to the character.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Borers in Picea Michael Persiano Bonsai 6 02-12-2004 11:07 AM
Recuperating a picea Tony Bonsai 5 16-11-2004 01:45 PM
Recuperating a picea Tony Bonsai 0 15-11-2004 11:41 PM
Some brown needles on 'picea omorika' [email protected] United Kingdom 2 28-12-2003 06:19 PM
Picea Breweriana (Brewers Spruce) JAXno United Kingdom 2 08-05-2003 06:56 PM