Old 02-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Mike Lyle

John wrote:
[...]
As I said before I went off ... he wants to lay a new lawn. I

would
guess that now is probably about the *worst* time of year to
contemplate doing this -- am I right in thinking that? We've

already
dug the site twice -- it's like moving thick porridge, with rocks

for
lumps.

You could do it; but I really wouldn't. Even if you can get the turf
at this time of year.

You want the grass to grow into its new home as quickly as possible.
It will grow a bit in winter when conditions are warm enough, but
it's cold up there (my son's just been on the telephone with his
teeth chattering), _and_ your son's on a shady site. I'd wait till
spring. I'd also usually use seed: cheaper and much better if you
don't mind it taking a year longer to be playable-on.

Mike.