Old 02-12-2004, 04:59 PM
John

Default Good time to turf a lawn?

My son has moved into a house which needs a new (i.e. brand new) lawn.
It's a new-build, so the ground is unbelievably awful -- and it even
faces north, so at present it's relying almost entirely on air movement
(not sun) to dry out. Oh - and it's also down near the river, so it's
extra muddy (no it won't flood - it's on the banks of the not-so-bonny
Tyne, where it's about 50 yards across, and the banks are 15' above the
water).

As I said before I went off ... he wants to lay a new lawn. I would
guess that now is probably about the *worst* time of year to contemplate
doing this -- am I right in thinking that? We've already dug the site
twice -- it's like moving thick porridge, with rocks for lumps.

Cheers
John
Old 02-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Mike Lyle

John wrote:
[...]
As I said before I went off ... he wants to lay a new lawn. I

would
guess that now is probably about the *worst* time of year to
contemplate doing this -- am I right in thinking that? We've

already
dug the site twice -- it's like moving thick porridge, with rocks

for
lumps.

You could do it; but I really wouldn't. Even if you can get the turf
at this time of year.

You want the grass to grow into its new home as quickly as possible.
It will grow a bit in winter when conditions are warm enough, but
it's cold up there (my son's just been on the telephone with his
teeth chattering), _and_ your son's on a shady site. I'd wait till
spring. I'd also usually use seed: cheaper and much better if you
don't mind it taking a year longer to be playable-on.

Mike.

Old 02-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Aardvark

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:59:55 +0000, John wrote:

My son has moved into a house which needs a new (i.e. brand new) lawn.
It's a new-build, so the ground is unbelievably awful -- and it even
faces north, so at present it's relying almost entirely on air movement
(not sun) to dry out. Oh - and it's also down near the river, so it's
extra muddy (no it won't flood - it's on the banks of the not-so-bonny
Tyne, where it's about 50 yards across, and the banks are 15' above the
water).

As I said before I went off ... he wants to lay a new lawn. I would
guess that now is probably about the *worst* time of year to contemplate
doing this -- am I right in thinking that? We've already dug the site
twice -- it's like moving thick porridge, with rocks for lumps.

Cheers
John

I would dig now (it sounds like you have done this already). Leave
the clods of earth in big lumps and let the winter frosts and whatever
break the clods down.
Wait for spring and choose a time when the earth is dry enough to
work. If it is sticking to your boots its still too wet. Generally
rake and bash any remaining clods until you have levelled the site.
Get the earth into a fine crumby texture, and tread down to compact it
a little.

Now you will be in a position to lay turf and it will probably be
March April time.

My other concern would be drainage. I dont know how much rain you
have had up there but where I am the earth is not sticky wet. If
there is a drainage problem then it would be apprpriate to deal with
that before doing any of the preparation work for your sons lawn.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:06 PM
pk

Mike Lyle wrote:
I'd also usually use seed: cheaper and much better if you
don't mind it taking a year longer to be playable-on.

Mike.

I sowed in April last year and it was playable on by the summer.

Mind you, I did spend much of the autumn winter in preparation: Deep
digging, manuring, levelling, raking, raking, raking, levelling, levelling,
raking etc to give myself a near perfect seed bed. Lower layers well settled
upper tilth begging to be seeded.

In leas than a season it is a FAR better lawn than the other I had
professionally turfed with Rowlawn 8 years ago and have devoted much TLC on
every year since.

pk

Organic Turf / Pesticide Free Turf Mj62 Lawns 7 06-02-2011 06:57 PM
Turf on top of turf flashman Lawns 5 09-03-2006 10:10 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 01:08 PM
is this a good time to lay turf? JK United Kingdom 13 25-09-2003 08:51 PM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 11:20 AM