Old 28-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:22:17 -0500, Steve wrote:

JudyH wrote:

I live in Australia a moderate climate ie in winter we can almost get
a frost and in summer the temperature is fairly pleasant. I have 4
bushes of black and red currants and they are 3 years old. I have
never had any fruit. Could someone tell me if the climate is suitable,
or is there something else I can do to make them fruit. Many thanks

It certainly could be your climate (not that I know anything about
growing in a warm climate).

One reference says " black currants will usually fail to fruit through
lack of winter chill" and another cites USDA zones 3-6b as "suitable"
climates; that is, with winter temperatures in the range of -40 to 0 F
(-40 to -18 C)

Steve in the Adirondacks (where winter dormancy is no problem)

(LOL, literally)